1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose Front Bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoDawgs, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

My front bead has come loose. It’s a standard white front bead, nothing fancy.

I’ve tried to attach it back to the rib with blue loctite and also plumber’s tape. The hole is just too sloppy, neither of those two methods can get it to “bite” tight enough to make it stay in place and withstand the movement/blast of shooting.

Is there any other product that would be a little thicker than loctite or plumbers tape? Maybe some type of adhesive?

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Fill hole with epoxy or anything that will stay hard , redrill and tap.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You stripped the threads. I did too, so I epoxied it in with JB Weld. It has
    worked fine and not loosened. Loctite won't do it.

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Loctite makes a metal filled epoxy that can be tapped.

Also, you can just go without any beads at all. My guess is that your score won't show any difference.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Auh Oh!!!

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Just fill with the epoxy. Don't try to tap it, epoxy is not hard enough. If you ever want to remove it, you can just break it loose from the epoxy.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Retap it to a larger thread size... if you've not already got it to 6-48.

WW

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whiz has it, unless you are too large for that cure.

I seem to think there was a #8 size Bradley style bead around, I used it on 1100 field barrels that had the smooth bead insert.

Love the JB. Used it to fix everthing but the cat.

HM

9. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Hi Guys,
    Quick update on this.....yesterday, I tried dickgtax's idea of the JB weld. Seems to be holding pretty tight. I'll shoot some rounds on Thursday and see if it breaks loose but I think it looks promising. After letting it dry for a while, the bead isn't movable with a small amount of force. It seems like I'd have to put some elbow grease into it to make it move. Obviously, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks to everyone for their advice on this. If this doesn't hold, I will have to move towards a bigger size front bead and re-tap....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.