1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose forend rivet on 303

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Claysmoke27, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

Hello All:
    Anybody come up with a good way to tighten the big rivet that holds the metal on the forend, without cracking the wood?

Thanks,
    CS27

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just shoot it - it comes off when I clean but I stick it back on and screw it down

3. wproct

wproct Member

I have owned several A302 and A303's, and this rivet has been slightly loose on all of them. I kind of consider it the nature of the beast. I try to ignore it.

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Take a punch that fits inside the rivet snug and mount it in a vise with the point facing up. Put the outside of the forearm over the punch and then take a flat chisel and just lightly tap the inside of the rivet with the chisel. It may take a few raps but don't over due it the first one. It will tighten it up very quickly with no damage to the forearm of finish on the outside of the rivet. I have done several this way. It is really best to use brass as the punch but i doubt you have that. Brass will not mar the finish like steal.

5. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

Thanks 303. Yes, I have brass punches.
    I may even grind one to fit the rivet surface.
    I'll give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.