1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose forend on new style BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjcutter, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I have a 6 year old BT and Occasionally the forend will loosen up. The hardware is all tight. Sometimes if I take it apart and clean it when I put it back together it will be ok but eventually loosens up again. Anybody had this problem and if so what is the fix?

Tom

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, you wore out the forend iron that the bbl lug sets against. You must grease the back of the lug where it touches the iron. Otheer wise it wears and then when it becomes just a little loose then you wear it as you open and close the gun. Use a touch of wheel bearing grease on the back of the lug, the same on the hnge pins, and on the forend iroon receiver joint. Wheel bearing greas is preferred as it tends ot tighten the gun up some. Here

[​IMG]

And here

[​IMG]

And here

[​IMG]

And here

[​IMG]

Wheel bearing grease is thick viscous stuff. Will snug your gun up. Some.

3. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Thanks MIA, I will try that

Tom

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jack...how do you keep your carpet so snowy white??

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It is probably loose because the wood compresses at the front of the forearm where it presses against the barrel. Put several layers of black electrical tape on that area between the wood and the barrel to see it that tightens it up. It can be fixed with Brownell's acraglas. MIA is talking about a different problem.

6. JACK

JerryP. Tha tis a quick fix. But th elug likely needs to be tig welded and filed to fit properly and then lubed. Doug Braker is the master at this and reasonable too.

7. JACK

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

MIA, My BT needs TIG welded as you mentioned, but the forearm is very tight. My forearm loosened long before the forearm bracket was noticably worn. The barrel was still tight when opened. I'm talking about the newer ones. The way the thing is designed the wood is an integral part sandwiched between the metal parts. If the wood compresses it loosens up. The forearm assembly is a cheap, piss poor design. My biggest compliant about the BT's. It wouldn't cost that much to make it a more robust design. Actually, the area of wear you mention should be adjustable for wear. My gun was very tight when new and I always lube the barrel lug, made no difference. Tightening the forearm as I described does nothing to change the problem you describe. We are discussing two seperate problems.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The problem is Browning cut corners to cut manufacturing costs with the latest BT-99 The previous models had 2 machine screws and 1 wood screw holding the forend iron into the wood along with a draw bolt which would pull the iron to the wood lengthwise. With the new design 1 metal screw and the draw bolt have been omited. Some owners have experience the wood moving forward away from the iron. I have fixed 4 of them this year by installing a Keenesert 3/8x10-32 where the wood screw hole would be.

10. arend003

arend003 Member

just had mine and my wife's fore arms fixed at thestockshop.net Tom removed the wood screw and put a threaded insert in and machine screw screw worked nicely. He also suggested as small felt pad at the front of the forearm as well
    Tom

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Anyone who would include a wood screw into a gun design should be shot.

arend003 , The felt pad suggestion was surely due to looseness of the forearm. I would think that would also compress eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
acraglas loose forend
browning bt99 forearm losen
bt-99 forearm is loose on barrel

bt99 forend

difference bt-99 barrel lug
loose browning forearm