1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3dram8, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Simone, I have found that when I use a thick lube like Birchwood Casey's Choke Tube Lube on the threads, I just have to finger tighten the chokes. The chokes don't always stay wrench tight, but they DO seem to at least stay "bottomed" against the shoulder in the barrel rather than unscrewing themselves during shooting. ......Rick

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Putting lube on the threads enables you to hand-tighten the tubes to a higher torque. Maybe this would be the path to non-loosening chokes?

The extended Brileys in my Ruger do not come loose. The extended Optimas in my Beretta occasionally need snugging up. Both are only hand tightened. I use choke tube lube on them.

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Clear fingernail polish will keep them in place.

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Seminole Guns sells a gizmo with tapered sides that will put the choke in tight enough to prevent backouts. check them out a seminolegun.com. Randy is great putting in chokes as well. His are actually fit to the barrel. He does not carry a one size fits all choke. By the way, none of the Seminole chokes I have ever seen have slots. Be careful with thread lock compounds or tape. You may want to get the choke out someday. Vice grips will work in reverse though.

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

The resident gunsmith at our club (Ross) advised me to use a half-round of plumbers tape on the threads; seems to work well.
    John

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have Siminole Chokes in one of my guns and the chokes kept comming loose. I complained to Siminole and they sent me one of their tapered tools. It helped but they still came loose. Got one of these and no more problems.

http://shotgunsportsmagazine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_16&products_id=82

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

I've got Briley extendeds in my BT-99 and they've never come loose (yet)with wrench tweaking. I use Briley choke lube in the BT as well as her 1100. Her stock Rem flush choke ALWAYS needs tightening after 2 rounds and I wrench tighten it. Go figger.

B

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use regular gun oil on my extended Briley's in my Citori combo. I thoroughly clean my gun after 500-600 rounds also. I check the tubes as I move from station to station. (gun is unloaded and broke open) I've seen others do the same.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.