1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ismah, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

How do you keep your choke tubes from coming loose while on the shooting line? The instructions on my 870 say, "don't overtighten choke tubes", so I snug them up but after about 20 rounds they come loose. (?) What's the answer?

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

shoot 19 rounds and re-tighten

bill

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Are you saying the choke comes loose after 20 shots or 20 rounds of trap? I would assume you are saying that after each round of 25 your choke is loose. Now I had a 90T that had the chokes come loose after about 50 shots. I also have a Super X-1 that I had converted to choke tubes and I hand tighten them after each round of trap. However, I have extended chokes and make it a habit to check the tightness often on all of my guns. If you do a "search" on this site, you will find a variety of hints that fellow shooters use to help with this problem. Ed

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Clean them well and put heavy grease on them .

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Buy Briley Extended chokes and then just check them between posts. The knurled ends allow you to hand tighten them easily.

Forrest

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Some folks use teflon tape used for plumbing instead of grease with good results....Bob Dodd

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think you are just afraid to tighten it.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What ALF-99 said, clean the threads on the tube and inside the barrel then grease the threads on the tube and install the tube. Snug the tube down with the wrench that came with your gun - use about as much torque as it takes to open a pop bottle. Don't worry about over tightening, you will shear the little plastic nubs off the wrench long before you damage the threads on the tube.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I use a good choke tube lube and I snug them up pretty tight, but not over tight.

Works for me.

Hauxfan!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I take my choke tube out once every 2-3 years. Dab a little grease on it and snug it up. It remains tight until I remove it again. If mine came lose after 30,000 rounds, I would think something was wrong.

Pat Ireland

11. m70win

m70win Member

This reminds me of a time I was shooting skeet with a young man that kept tighting his chokes when the gun was loaded. I sometimes think some people are over obsessive with choke tightening.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 choke keeps loosening