1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose choke tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lilboss1970, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

Will a loose choke tube change your POI? I was shooting tonight and shot 22/25. Next round I shot the first four posts I was shooting horrible, 9/20. Then I noticed that my choke tube was about a turn loose. Then I ran the next five. Now when I was missing I felt like I was on the birds, but couldn't hit anything. So was the loose choke the problem or was it just in my head? Thanks for your help.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, a properly threaded tube should never come lose. I never change my choke tube and take it out for lubrication once every 2-4 years.

A tube that has some movement could easily change the POI. Shooting a tube that is lose will put a lot of crud in the threads that are exposed and make it difficult to seat the tube properly.

I would be looking for a heavy lube that will fill the spaces in the threads and be sticky enough to keep the tube in place. Something like STEP might work.
    Also, different tubes can have different POI.

A good way to test how well the tubes fit is to put one in as tight as you can by hand. Then if you can turn the tube more than 1/32 of an inch with your tube wrench, something is wrong.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.