1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose BT forearm Ideas?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I bought a New Bt99 in November 2009, for my son(who has yet to shoot it!lol) I put a couple thousand shells threw it all mild reloads. While shooting it at the first Bradford shoot I noticed the forearm was loose. The gun shoots great and I ran 25 with it all the time but now I cant get past the loose forearm, and its bugging me.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am going to tear it apart and look at it again today but wondered if it is now a common problem with the newer model?

Thanks Jerry

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Put a strip of tape under the front of the barrel...should take up the gap.
    I shot one that way for a long time.

Big Jack

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

make sure the iron screws are tight ,take for-end off ,please use a good screw driver

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Got it fixed !!! I used a thin shim between the wood and iron and wowo it was tight as new!!!

Thanks all and for the PMs as well

Jerry

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

09newbie,

A buddy of mine had a newer BT-99, and the screws in the iron would shear off. He sent it to Browning and they fixed it and sent it back free of charge.

Kevin

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Common problem. The wood compresses and the forearm loosens. The wood is an intregal part of the design. It is sandwiched between the forearm iron and the latch. The fit is dependent upon the thickness of the wood between those two parts and the pressure of the wood against the barrel at the front. I think the wood should just be a covering for the metal parts instead of an intergal part of the design. Must be the cheapest way to go. The tape at the front is a quick fix.

7. wproct

wproct Member

I used one of those small round felt furniture protectors that you buy at Wally World, about 50 to a package. Works perfect and should last me about the lifetime of the BT99 I hope.

8. arend003

arend003 Member

Same problem on my BT used a small piece of foam in the front it worked for awhile but the real problem with mine and my wife's were the wood screw would loosen up . Solution took it to a gunsmith who drilled it out and put a threaded insert and metal screw to hold it works great .. no more problems.
    Tom

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- First figure out why the forend is loose. If the wood is inletted too much, it can be built up with pads as suggested above. If the forend iron is loose in the wood, that can easily be fixed by making the screw holes tighter. If the forend iron is worn of misaligned, a few taps with a small hammer by someone who knows where to tap is a quick fix.

It is difficult to fix a problem if you do not know what the problem is. Your problem is not a loose forend, that is only a symptom of another problem.

Pat Ireland

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I also used a shim made out of a single piece of mylar about .002 thick between the iron and the wood. Tight like new!

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.