1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Loose BT-99 Plus Recoil Pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TC, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

What kind of screw is used to hold the pad? Is it a phillips or hex and what size? Appreciate any help, Thanks.

2. Franktri

Franktri Member

Philips.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

They were straight blade wood screws originally, all mine have been replaced with phillips.

If the holes have stripped out you'll either have to get the next size up from whats there or put tooth picks pieces into the holes. Always worked for me.

4. 7771

7771 Active Member

if its the whole plate its a hex screw only one in either of the 3 whole that locks into a groove. might check that also because they tend to come lose eventually.

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Toothpicks?

Instead of toothpicks (I'm sure they work - not a bad quick fix when away from your shop) resize the threads to a larger size and buy the correct screws. You can just buy a larger diameter screw, but why not do it right the first time and resize and prevent a possible stress crack in the stock. And, yes, Phillips is a better choice over slot screws, unless you have access to a hex head screw....Cya

6. Borderland

Borderland Member

The recoil pad mounts to the butt plate///not the stock....Mine has phillips head machine screws for pad to plate

7. GROUPER7

GROUPER7 Member

If I recall correctly, the original screws are phillips (+) metric, 5mm.
    They shouldn't be hard to find. If you go to an auto supply store, they will have them. Is the screw stripped or is the hole stripped? If the hole is stripped, you may wish to get a 5mm bottoming tap and try to fix the treads. Usually its the first few that are bad and mainly due to a screw not being long enough and overtightened. Get longer screw and cut them down so that they when you measure the thickness of the pad holder and the depth of the hole you are just shy of the bottom. Good luck.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Go to Lowes and get some thread inserts, drill out and insert, inserts, tap them in and then use machine screws, someone on this site has them but cheaper at Lowes.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. TC

TC TS Member

Thanks guys, they keep working loose, going to put some loctite on them this time.

10. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Please, not locktight. Do the next guy who owns this shotgun a favor and use inserts or repair. if you must use an adhesive, use simple fingernail polish. It will hold, but it will also shatter when loosened. We are only caretakers for these firearms for a few decades; let's not make life difficult for the next caretakers.....Cya

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

On all the guns I take apart, I replace the screws with a #1 square hex head. I can always switch to a #2 if I need a larger diameter. Even if pad holes are tight, shaft in gently, rotate until it cams in, and go to work. In extreme cases, the same bit size in your drill is awesome to unstick threads. Had to many strips on Phillips and straight blade. IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.