1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

loose Beretta 687 stockbolt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Seems like every 3000 rounds or so I have to re-tighten the stockbolt on my Beretta 687, is this normal?
  2. mag410

mag410 Member

It is not normal to need to tighten the stock bolt every 3000 rounds. My first guess is that you are not tightening the bolt tight enough. You don't want to over-tighten as that is what tends to cause cracks though the wrist of the stock. Under-tightening can also lead to cracks.

Tighten the stock as you normally do, and then give the wrench an extra 1/16 of rotation and see how long it stays tight. if it still loosens, give it another 1/16 turn.

Michael
  3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Is the fat factory washer and the lock washer in the correct position on the stock bolt?

Make sure the fat thick washer is in the bolt hole first, then the lock washer.

Was this a new gun when you got it?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thank's guys, I'll check the washer and tighten it a little more. Didn't want to tighten it TOO much as I've been afraid I might crack the stock? Yes, it was a NEW 687 combo when I got it from Etchen a few years ago.

John C. Saubak
  5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

When I moved from Michigan to Arizona, the wood on all of my guns shrunk. Literally every stock became loose eventually and gaps of .004" where before there were none became evident on the fore end where the wood meets the iron.

One year later, things have stabilized. But here's a little trick...wrap the stock bolt threads with a little plumbers tape (opposite direction of the threads) and you won't have this problem.

Don't use loc-tite of any variety.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.