1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOOPING THE TARGET

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I have been noticing that as I am getting the sights on the target I seem to unconsiously loop around the bird. Fortunately more often than not I hit it but when I do miss its agrivating. I have been trying to figure out why I do this. I have a 34' barrel and my initial thought is it may be too light. If this is the case what remedies do I have? Or is this just a type of a flinch I don't know. HELP

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

sounds like crossfiring?

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Make sure you are not moving your gun before you actually see it.

Bob Lawless

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

nope you are aiming and taking too long to get the shot off. gun movement to the target should be a smooth flowing swing to and through the bird, with the shot going off as you get to the front edge. try to shoot smoother and quicker

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree with Bob Lawless, it sounds like you're anticipating & starting to move the gun before you see the target clearly. The little "loop" movement is a last minute correction made in an attempt to salvage a bad move. Sometimes it works.........sometimes it don't.

John C. Saubak

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Look at the target and not the 'sights'. When you look at the bead the gun movement either stops or slows - the loop is your brain trying to save the shot.

Before you say I can't do it that way, try shooting without the bead or at the very least black the bead out with a marker.

7. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Really all make sense. I have been working at high gun hold and notice when I am fooled by the target ie cheating to the right on 5 post and get a left bird, thats when I am panicking and looping. also Dick good advice I have been creeping down the barrel with my left hand thinking that might help and from what you say that may be part of the problem. I think I am a little anxious and move too much before I see the bird. Will diligently practice all of the above,

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You should be using your trigger hand to swing the gun, not your hand on the forearm. Try letting the forearm float in your hand.

9. dzneff

dzneff Member

Sounds like a form of flinch. It used to happen to me ocasionally. A release trigger is the answer.

10. ivanhoe

"You should be using your trigger hand to swing the gun, not your hand on the forearm."

You should be swinging the gun with your body from the ankles up not the trigger hand.

Bob Lawless

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Right Bob, and the part of your body that keeps the gun hooked to your body is your trigger hand. Too many are using their forearm hand to over correct......Why be so difficult. The gun is not going to LOOP unless your forearm hand does it. Even a caveman could understand that.

12. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

we'll see tomorrow I have 200 singles. My main thing I want to do is smooooth move to the target and not to stear the gun with the forarm. Thanks alot I really do appreciate your help and maybe I can use it someday to beat you haha. os

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

by all means that is the purpose, to help someone become a better more competitive shooter. but don't forget how you got there hard work, good friends and advice, part of what makes the trip worthwhile.

14. ivanhoe

"Why be so difficult. The gun is not going to LOOP unless your forearm hand does it. Even a caveman could understand that."

Well Bob as you so apply prove your own words with that last sentence Glad to meet you caveman!!!!

Bob Lawless

15. Beni

Beni Member

I thought the push pull tech. while shooting was natural?? sounds like maybe to high gun hold.or maybe to much of a closed stance beni

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Personally when I started doing that it was because of the start of a flinch. Went to a release and stopped looping the target. I used to circle that puppy sometimes twice. It just kept getting worse and the losses kept adding up. Haven't change a thing except the trigger. Be the way I don't but the moving everthing from the ankles up, set your base and rotate at the hips and your hands should control up and down and your rotation controls your left and right movement.

You have a hitch between your brain and your trigger finger.

Don

17. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I am doing the loop on rights. Two eyed shooter, sight blinder, and release trigger. Less than 1,000 rounds with a release. I may have to think about the moving the gun before seeing the bird well. Any good drills to use that may help stop moving the gun to soon? I know of one to try and have used, have the puller pull without calling for the bird. One thing I do notice when I do this I am trying to measure the lead, and that means looking at the sight.
    One comment to high a hold, this brings one question, Leo says he looks down under his gun for the target, were does he hold on post 1 and 5 to look under his gun? I hold under the flight path on post 1 and 5. 10tenner

18. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Well shot my 200 today taking advice from you guys. First trap ran em all was confident and ended with 95. The ones I missed were easy ones picked up all hard angles. On the second hundred started with a 21 and a 22 but was able to recover with 49 of last 50. Seems almost all the birds I missed were at the 4 and 5 post, and I was starting on the 4. Also lost a couple birds bouncing in the wind. I was still cheating to get at the hard rights and found myself missing the straits in a panicked frenzy. REALLY worked on keeping the gun still when I called as well as not pushing with the forend. All in all not too bad for a 90 average shooter and still feeling improvement. Try it again next weekend, thanks for all your helpful hints.

19. Beni

Beni Member

if your cheating that much on post 4 and 5 try this practice drill. while on post 4 and 5 hold over the left corner of house,eventually you will be able to keep gun moving to and through target for afull follow through,proving to yourself there is eneuogh time to get that hard right. After that you can move your poa in closer to the house so the left angle targets arent so far to get either.. beni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

looping clay target