1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like I'm getting a BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by morgan1, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan1

morgan1 Member

#! there fairly flat shooting
    #2 recoil is soft softer than most guns I have shot, pattern is very good and consistant
    #3 Lots of places to accessorize on line just look around.

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I would base my whole life on what piddle thinks.

The gun will shoot where you point it. average recoil Best gun for the money.

Rock

Jim

3. mt

mt Member

they're well made guns,

if you need it, add an adjustable comb and butt pad.....fits a lot of shooters well. my wife loves hers, she did add a cheek eez pad.

were i to do over again, i'd buy used, save a bit of money and might already have the additions you want. there are so many of them out there.

trigger is ok as it is....certainly not a bad trigger and the whole gun tends to hold up pretty well.

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I received one as 30 year service award from my company in Feb. 2007 (I got to choose the award and yes......I love my job!).

Mine is a 34" Adjustable, I set it at 1 3/8" drop at heel, which I prefer and without any cast.

1. How high do these shoot over the plane of the rib?

Set at 1 3/8", 0 cast, mine shoots 70/30, no deviation left/right.

2. Are the overbored barrels and new type invectors soft recoiling and do they pattern well?

Recoil, very subjective, not as light as my 1100 Classic Trap, I shoot 1oz loads and it is not objectionable.

I just use the full Invector Plus tube that came with it because I have not found anything this set up doesn't pattern between very good and excellent.

3. Is there any place I get get accessories and parts for these? A titanium hammer would be neat.

Don't know, I follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto with shotguns, never saw a BT99 that needed that type of accessory.

4. How would you compare the recoil to other guns?

Again; Recoil, very subjective, not as light as my 1100 Classic Trap, not as bad as some o/u's I have shot over the years, I shoot 1oz loads and it is not objectionable.

I didn't know if I'd like a BT99 but if I could get one for free (not counting 30 years of working), I thought why not; for me, it was a good decision, I like it.

The Browning adjustable comb is not great but mine has given me no trouble. It is only set up 1/8" and has 0 cast. It is shimed up with one, black plastic washer on each post and tightened as per the instructions. Once I get one to fit me and shoot 70/30, I never adjust it (if I have a bad day, its me; an adjustment won't help). The comb has not shifted on me since I set it last February.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Ditto what shootlow just said. Also, were it me, I would buy a used one instead of a new one because the older ones are just as good and more than likely will have better looking wood. Then you can buy about 5 hundred bucks worth of shells.

John

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Agree with the many who recommend used - saves a lot of money.

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

Was shooting an old Mossberg 500 pump until early July when I bought my BT-99 with adjustable comb. Recoil wasn't near as bad as the Mossberg methinks. Had a stock fitter mount a GraCoil LP and the gun is an extension of my body. 1 1/4" drop at the heel, slight cant and the comb with no cant and raised about 1/4". Stockfitter said I should've bought the standard gun and let him do the adjust. comb...better setup. After seeing his Perazzi he's right on that account. Would definitely invest in the GraCoil. Can shoot this thing all day long.

I'm guilty of not patterning the gun at this point but am breaking 22-24 consistently. (Those few lost birds are due to my stopping the gun...oy.)

Ti hammer??????????

Enjoy the gun.
    Bill

8. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Rem870TB,

Who do you work & are they hiring?

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

r44u77- If the quality of gun you get per dollar spent is important, you have made a wise choice in selecting a BT-99. Prior to the introduction of the BT-99, if we wanted a single barrel trap gun we were restricted to Parkers, L.C. Smith, A. Fox and Ithaca guns. At that time most of us shot Browning O/U or M-12 Winchesters.

Pat Ireland

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

r44u77 - Congratulations. I bought a nice used BT-99 Plus a few weeks ago. As you might know, it has a recoil reduction system and an adjustable butt pad assembly. I really like mine.

The only change I'm making, is adding a Morgan recoil pad, so I can fit the stock into my shoulder a little better. While somewhat different from newer models, it does shoot about 80/20. This winter I'll have the ejector disconnected.

Best,
    Dennis

11. bonkers

bonkers TS Member

Congrats !!! With the BT-99 all you will ever have to take to a shoot is "it" and ammo. I have shot one since 1980 and all I ever do is tear it down and clean it. They tried to make them fancy with the removable triggers, didn't do a thing for it, just added expence, and maintenance. Make sure that you can take the stock off and flush it out with Carb. cleaner and re-oil it, DON'T mess with it, it has the fastest lock time of any gun out there, just take care of it and it will out live you. Mine has made a lot of P&K guns look kind of puny in the shoot offs even from the 27yd., so it is not the gun it is the shooter. If recoil is a problem, put a KickEze in it and that will do it just fine, besides, it will put a little weight in the stock and they seem to need it, keeps them from being too barrel heavy. Good Shooting . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.