1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looks like a great car

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

On the BBC TV show Gear Heads, they evaled a Volvo plug in diesel hybrid. The car is a V-60..It got 150 mpg & went 0-60 under 7 seconds. Not to worry GM has the Volt, only sold 300 of them August. Headed the way of Solyndra--another better idea from Obumma R ^D.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

So was this a car that was created while Volvo was owned by Ford or China?

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It was created by the Swedes,when Ford owned Volvo. The Chinese brought it to market. No matter who did it it makes all other cars look stone age--mileage - wise. Triple the mileage of a Prius in a medium sized station wagon. It would do wonders for our economy. Cutting the average persons fuel costs & giving them more disposable income and making the purchase of a new car really affordable.

Phil Berkowitz

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Volvo's were great cars until Ford took them over and cheapend them up. Now that the Indians own them, who knows what they're going to be like.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'd buy a Volt if the price was about $15k cheaper. I don't think they are worth $40K even with the $7500 discount. 90% of my driving is less than 25 miles a trip, so a hybrid would work for me.

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

volt is a joke forced on us by people who think food comes from a store not a farm,,,sorrey but i do work in the city..NY , and my daily comute is 56 miles,,,and have had comutes of over 100 when i was a service rep,,,better milage,, better price,,,not a plug in the wall,,,by the way ,, dont have that at work,,,,and you wont find one on the city streets either.. and my boss hass over 1000 hybird veichels,,,, but no plug ins for workers

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Volvo has alwyas built a dependable car. The only problem I ever had was parts, because it a small market sector. After market parts were few and far between and expensive.

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

So, what is the "vunder" vehicle going to cost?
    It sells in Europe for @ $45k. Add in options and you are looking at maybe $50-55,000.

Sorry, I don't see many "average" people buying a $55k car. It does look promising, though. Here's a write-up on it.

http://www.plugincars.com/volvo-unveils-plug-hybrid-diesel-v60-124-mpg-30-mile-battery-range-awd-0-60-69-sec-106840.html

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

682LINY,

I'm pretty sure the Volt has an internal cumbustion engine in case your drive is farther than what the batteries can do on their own. You may want to read up on one before you speak up further.

ss

10. Rick Barker

Any links to this Volvo? I did a quick search, but did not see any.

So, if developed while under Ford ownership, why don't use this tech on their domestic line of Ford products?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Go to Topgear.com & or look up test drive by topgear.com on 9/6/11 of the Volvo plug in hybrid diesel.

Phil Berkowitz

12. Rick Barker

Only review was for gas version. Oh well, I am sure it will turn up somewhere sometime.

13. cementman

cementman Member

Just Google following . . . . Volvo plug in diesel hybrid . . . . Plenty of information pops up.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

A V-60? One person says 0-60 mph in under 7 seconds, another says 69 seconds.??? Larry

15. Rick Barker

Found the car okay and writeups, was looking for TopGear review.

May be a while before it gets on line.

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Folks who are knocking the Volt - they are way ahead of projected numbers and now believe they will be hitting the factory maximum production number of 60,000 vehicles in 2012.

17. Rick Barker

I have yet to see one at a dealer or on the street. Where are they???

I heard DC is buying a bunch.

18. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

You aren't seeing these Volvos because, according to the link I posted above, it is not for sale in the US yet - only Europe so far.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

19. Rick Barker

I was asking where are the Volts? Not the Volvos.

20. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If they make 60,000 Volts in 2012 how do they propose selling them? Sounds like another Solyndra deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.