1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking under the barrels ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Every instructor or top shooter I have read or spoken with say the same thing, you need to see the target exit the house and you must never loose sight of the target. Hold points and where you look will vary depending on your style and whether you shoot two eyes or one eye open. Bill Malcolm

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If I try to hold a high gun and look under the barrel my left eye wants to take over and not give control back to my right eye. I didn't always have this problem but now it happens more frequently as I will be 70 if I make it to Christmas Eve. I have adjusted all my holds to favor the right eye staying in control. I do look over the barrel on Posts 1 and 5 but I can hold a higher gun and look through the barrel on Posts 2,3, and 4.

3. Beretta687EELL

I'm a one eyed shooter and hold a low gun. I have adapted my hold points and where I look based on what works for me.

It doesn't matter which way you shoot, the key is to see the target emerge from the trap and you must never loose sight of the target.

The advantage a two eyed shooter has is that they can hold a high gun and have less gun movement. I will give you my interpretation of what I have been told about two eyed shooting. My impression is that you look under the barrel. Your hold point has to be such that you can see the target appear when it emerges from the trap with your non-barrel eye. The target must not disappear from your view under or through the barrel. You will have to adjust your hold points based on how you see the target and weather conditions. Bill Malcolm

4. Beretta687EELL

If that happens, you are holding too high or too close to the center of where the target will emerge. Not everyone's hold points are the same. It has to be what works for you. The key is that you must not loose sight of the target. Bill Malcolm

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What ever hold points you choose, it is important that they be adjusted to compensate for the weather conditions on the day that you are shooting. HMB

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bryce I just might be able to shed some light on the looking under the barrels questions that you are asking. I will not do it in the open forum as lately when I offer help to others I come under criticism from to many.

So if you want the information you will have to either allow your Private Message feature to receive messages or send me your email address in a PM and I will get back to you with something to try that might help you with your questions.

I say this because I use the under the barrel method as you call it and have enjoyed a level of success with th method.

Bob Lawless

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryce... To answer your question more directly, yes, this method of looking under your barrels to see the target emerge was taught by the late Frank Little. I was fortunate enough to take a 2 day clinic from Frank just before he passed away. If you get a chance to view his tape, you will see how he advises to look under the barrel for the target.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Dan,
    Are you supposed to look under the barrel with your direct vision or allow your peripheral vision to see the target come out while your direct (my word) vision looks over the barrel?
    Guy Coates

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I think Leo teaches looking under the barrel for the bird and I know Harlan teaches looking over the barrel for the bird.

So there you have it.

What ever works for you best is the way you should break birds.

Hauxfan!

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Here's how Dan Carlisle teaches his Olympic students.

You don't look under the gun but through it.

This takes some time and practice but it works especially on a low screamer from a bunker.

Lock your trap on a strait away a little high will help at first.

When you mount your gun take some time to focus past the gun out in the area of target presentation. If your focusing past the gun and with both eyes open the gun becomes a ghost. (you can see right through it) This may take a while at first. (30-60 seconds) With practice it will become automatic.

Now with a high mount right over the target path call for the target. When the target approaches the end of the barrel just before breaking into clear daylight shoot. (if done correctly the target will break.) Timing will be something you need to learn: for some the target will be considerably below the end of the barrel; for other's especially with high shooting guns the target will emerge above the rib before shooting.

This method can work well in sporting clays on a springing teal. Many top sporting clay shooters use this method on teal. I also use this method on all target presentations where a target is thrown from below me going away.

Joe Goldberg

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Straight stuff, Biff. I look under or through to where the bird is coming out.

I did take Harlan's class, but jeez, I just couldn't do it his way. Went back to looking through/under the barrel.

Works for me.

How about you?

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
looking over the barrel or under it
looking through the barrel
looking through the gun on trap

trap shooting-looking under the barrel