1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOOKING TO HUNT TURKEY IN NORTHER CA.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mreinfeld, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreinfeld

mreinfeld TS Member

ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GUIDES OR GOOD PLACE TO HUNT TURKEY IN NORTHER CALIFORNIA. I WENT ON A GUIDED TURKEY/BOAR HUNT NEAR CLEAR LAKE ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO. BUT I DON'T REMEMBER THE GUIDES INFO.

2. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

You might contact Tony Giorgi of Bass'n Boars guide service. He guides out of Healsburg. There are quite a few other good guides in the area plus some not so reputable. Contact Outdoor Writer Terry Knight at 707-263-1699 and he can steer you to the best ones.
    Dan

3. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

Spenceville wildlife refuge out by Beale AFB.

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I hunted them up in the hills above Chico when I lived there. Many gobblers up in the lower foothills and canyons, but you really have to know the area with no guide. Ishi wilderness area has lots.
    There is a good gunshop in Chico that has cards and flyers for guided hunts....been 3 yrs so I do not recall the names.
    Spencerville WR is ok, just have to watch out for the hikers when out calling....had 2 human tree hugging hikers come to my calling one year....hahhahaha.

Richardson Spring just outside of Chico is loaded with turkeys....but its all private property. I had a pal who lived there and we took many right out of his backyard.
    The names above are a good start out of Healsburg.
    Out of Redding up along Hogsback road is an ok area also.
    Around Black Butte lake west out of Orland is a good area....all private and loaded with them, Black Butte Rec. area is open for turks also, (public land)
    I only took one out of there, just due to the amount of use it get.
    Paskenta, Newville west of Orland area has plenty...but again all private land. All my turkey hunting has been without guides since I had plenty of connections there at one time.

5. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Another good place where they have pretty good luck is the Cache Creek area about 15 miles south of Lower Lake on Highway 20. Its always being restocked by the Turkey Federation who put birds there that are unwanted or over populated in other areas. Mendicino National Forest has good numbers all the way over to Lake Pillsbury but you have to know the country. Although I have access to some ranches, I hunt most of my birds on public land as they are more of a challenge. I don't guide for them anymore. Have a Daughter and Granddaughter that are fanitical Turkey hunters so I spend many happy hours with them. You might also check with Fish and Game for special drawings for Hunts.
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.