1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to have 8-10 custom shotgun barrels made...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jkwilson83, Jan 6, 2017.

1. jkwilson83

jkwilson83 TS Member

I am currently looking to have 8-10 custom stainless steel shotgun barrels for a special event I have coming up in 4 to 5 months. Does anyone have any recommendations??? I cannot find someone locally.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You can try Simmons, but I really seriously doubt anybody is going to be able to fulfill your order in that short a time frame unless they tack on a HUGE upcharge to put you in the front of the line.

3. jkwilson83

jkwilson83 TS Member

Thank you!!! At this point, I would be willing to pay it. The event is a very big deal, so although price is not a deal breaker...I don't want to take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for them.

4. skeet_man

What kind of guns are you trying to have barrels made for?

5. jkwilson83

jkwilson83 TS Member

36inch 12 gauge ....they won't actually be used to shoot, they would be more of a decorative (wall hanging) scenario

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If they will NEVER be used to shoot you might want to check with a metal sculpture artist. All they would need is the appropriate SS tubing, and then TIG weld a 'mono block' to it. I guess some kind of rib. A little finish work and you'd be done...

Where are you located?? I can think of two or three people who could do the job.

7. skeet_man

HSLDS is spot on. To have actual custom shotgun barrels made, esp in stainless, you'd be looking at multiple thousands of dollars EACH.

8. jkwilson83

jkwilson83 TS Member

Great Idea. This is why I came here to ask. Figured you guys would know best. I am in Florida, but would be willing to work with someone out of state if need be.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am in PA - I can think of two people local to me who might enjoy the challenge.

The simple question is HOW FAR AWAY will they be viewed from??

If close, you will need some real work done for them to pass as barrels, but if there is a distance the fit and finish can be much 'looser.'

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

If they are for decoration only, make absolutely, positively, sure that they can NOT be fired. You do not want to have them made and some fool blow one up in his face. In our sue happy society, it may be a concern.

Mike

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a Marlin goose gun for sale 36". PM me if interested.

12. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

Another possible option would be to buy a bunch of junk guns, remove the barrels and have them chromed. Each one would be a little different.