1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to convert inertia trigger to mechanical

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wildcat Lewis, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

I have a Browning XT o/u that I am using for a doubles gun. I am looking for a gunsmith to build a release pull for the gun and convert the triggers from inertia mechanical. The relaese is not a problem, excellent Gunsmiths available for that. However, I can't find anyone that makes the true mechanical conversion. The problem I have with the inertia trigger system in the gun is the free travel slop,(take up) for the second shot.
    Any reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks
    Lewis LaRoche, Sr.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you're located in the east (PA area), I'd suggest you contact Allem's and have the work done.

If you're not in the east, then I'd wait until a few other suggestions from forum members that will pertain to your geographic location.

Curt

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

I had Briley work over the triggers on a Beretta 686SC. I didn't want the inertial system. They said they don't actually convert it to a mechanical triggers system, but it certainly works as one. No one can tell the difference between that gun and a Remington 3200 that is mechanical. On the Beretta, you hold it as motionless as possible and squeeze the trigger and then squeeze again without moving the gun. Both barrels will dry fire perfectly. I am going to send them a 20 gauge to see if they can do the same with it. A few years ago that cost $75.00 plus shipping.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A mechanical conversion will not correct the pre-play in the triggers. A mechanical conversion will not even affect the trigger pull weights.

Most of the "so called" mechanical conversions, consist of a little "kicker" attached to the sear to bump the inertia block backward. So in essance, the gun still retains all of the other attributes.

To achieve a true mechanical trigger ie Krieghoff or Kolar, the receiver of your Browning would need to be gutted and a whole new system would have to be designed.

What you really need is just a trigger tune-up. The amount of pre-play can be reduced,(75%) but not to zero. A small amount of room is needed for the inertia block to slip back beneath the sears. If zero preplay is presented, any small amount of dirt or debris behind the trigger, or even not releasing the trigger FULLY(finger off the trigger) after a shot, the gun will not set up for the second shot.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Ah, the voice of reason. Thanks, Gun DR. I don't know WHY folks want the slack taken out of a Browning trigger. It is indeed designed to have that feature to enhance reliability, NOT a cheap or flawed design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 mechanical trigger

beretta 686 trigger system
beretta 686 trigger upgrade
inertia trigger system

mechanical trigger for beretta

mechanical triggers for barette 686
trigger conversion for inertia triggers
trigger work on 686 beretta