1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOOKING To Buy A New Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srvfan, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvfan

srvfan Member

Looking to buy a new gun and am new to the sport 1 year . I shoot a citori
    30" o/u trap model. I noticed that most of the good shooters
    have a 34" kolar,krieghoff,perazzi and never a bt-99 or 100 some skb's. My
    question is doe's this mean buying a bt-99 or 100 will limit your shooting
    in the long run and keep you from getting back to the 27. Not sure if
    this is a dumb question or not but my money is hard to come by and don't
    want to waste it. Some feed back would really be appreciated...
    Thank you PAUL

2. billy77

billy77 TS Member

There is some advantage to a Kolar, for instance, you have to shoot one to feel the difference. But if I were in your place I would look for a good used Beretta combo. You could shoot it for a long time and then upgrade.....JMO SC

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Paul.... There are a lot of shooters on the 27yd. line that shoot BT-99's and BT-100's. Those guns will do everything you want them to do. The MAIN difference between them and a Kolar, Kreighoff, Perazzi, etc. is the cost. The higher priced guns are a little more refined, and, in my opinion, are better built than a Browning, but, take my word for it, they will not break any more targets or hit any harder than the Brownings. Now, you Browning shooters out there, don't get me wrong here. I'm not down playing the quality of any Browning. For the money, they are one of the best trap guns on the market, period! I'm merely saying that, in a higher priced gun, you usually get what you pay for regarding the overall quality and hand fitting, etc..... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Paul: Welcome to the world of trapshooting. I started out 40 years ago shooting an 870. Then graduated to a Model 12 trap. Shot the Model 12 well. But wait. The "big guys" were shooting Perazzis. This gun will do it all for me. (I thought) Bought a used Perazzi then bought a new one. Couldn't shoot either one. Back to the Model 12. But then everyone shoots a single barrel; so I buy a 682 single and had Briley choke it. Gave it to my son. Back to the Model 12. Bought a 90T. (Always wanted one). You guessed it; went back to the Model 12. Trap is no different than golf. Each person believes that because Ray Stafford shoots a Perazzi, by obtaining one this will help your shooting skills. Because you golf somewhat well we will purchase a set of Titleist clubs and we will mirror Phil Mickelsons skills. Bottom line, find a gun that fits you. Once you feel comfortable with it your scores will improve with practice. The only option that I would say that helps a person shoot better is an adjustable comb. AND most importantly you will save many $$$ Ed

5. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I shoot a BT99 and it works for me (I only shoot singles). Do you plan on shooting doubles?

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

One of Pennsylvania's very best singles shooters, Tony Nunes, shoots a Browning single-barrel. I don't know what exact model it is, but my point is that your gun will serve you well.

Ed

7. guncase

guncase TS Member

Been playing this game 40 yrs! Best advice I can give someone who is going to play the game long term is: Buy the highest quality gun you can afford, have a stock built to fit YOU, and buy shells with the rest of the $20,000,, buy ammo and shoot lots of practice. shoot every round like it was a shootoff for a major title. Not ,,just shooting,, but every gun mount and shot with intensity!! The most important thing here is gun fit!! Paul

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Paul, While you see some shooters with Perazzis, Kolars, Lujtics, Krieghoffs winning, you will also see a lot of shooters with these name brand guns who win seldom, if ever. Good equipment - and Brownings are good equipment - is a source of pride, but is not a guarantee that your shooting skill will jump 3 to 4 times better when you go from a $1800 Citori to a $5200 expensive gun. If you have the money to spend, go for it, just do not expect miracles. You may want to spend another year or two developing your skills and improving your scores with your Browning while you identify the gun you just cannot live without. The expensive guns break down as much as or more frequently than Brownings - Perazzi sells you a kit of spare parts when you buy one. Best Regards, Ed

9. Weirdbob

Weirdbob TS Member

Just a thought, but how many of those people who shoot the big-name guns are sponsored by the big-name gun makers? Some of those people may have entirely different reasons to shoot a gun that cost that much.

Scott R.

10. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

I have found my 90T a good gun for the money. I have been shooting it, problem free, for about 10 years. I bought it used for $1,600. If I understand right, it was originally supposed to be the Kolar gun anyways.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The question is, can you win with the gun you have? If you can't, you can't with a more expensive gun either. If you can win with what you have, you may win more with a gun that fits you better. Get a gun with as much ajustability as possible and get it setup to where you can mount it consistantly to shoot where you look.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I started with an 870TA in 1978 and then bought a 101 Broadway and then a Browning Superposed which I still shoot for doubles and I lusted after an old Ljutic which became available. It had a fencepost for a stock but it fit like a dream and it has been my singles/hdcp gun now for going on 24 years...great investment...no need to change....good luck in finding your "dream gun" and shooting the lights out with it!!

Ron Burr

13. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Paul, welcome to the sport. You will find that there are nothing like trapshooters. Most all will help you. The gun may not always be the answer.
    I have a friend that went to the 27 in two years shooting the same gun you are.
    You said you were new to the sport. You did not say how many targets you have shot. Put 3 to 5,000 shells thru your gun before you jump ship.
    You have to shoot a lot,the high end guns will not shoot a lot better if you don't put a lot of shells thru them.

Bocephas

14. locdoc

locdoc Member

Paul,

Check out the above referenced thread or copy/paste the following;

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=112203&messages=3

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

15. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

The big difference between a Bt 99 and a Perazzi is price of course and weight. Add a pound and a half to a BT 99 front and rear total and you have a similar gun. Gun fit, pay a good fitter to do it. Or learn from Rollin`s book and experimentation. And then spring for a good two day shooting clinic from the top instructors, Kay O is great but puts some folks off by his language, Kiner is very helpful, Leo has forgotten more than most of us will ever know, Campbell is committed and the most thorough. What ever you do avoid the trap club almost pros, you will end ip with 20 bad habits to break. The best tip is this supposed to be fun; do not take up this game to impress yourself or others cuz you never played Varsity football, etc. I recommend the avoidance of increments in all shooting equipment, buy a cheap gun with the idea of upgrading in a year, buy a cheap used loader with the same idea. Buy the best you can right from the get go. It`s cheaper. Gun wt, fit and instruction. Perfect practice.

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The best advice I see here is guncase's. My personal experience is, I started with a Ljutic X73, but didn't shoot it well...bought a M12 and shot it well, but no 100's...bought a Ljutic monogun-T and shot it pretty well, but not as well as the M12 and no 100's...bought a Perazzi TM-1 and shot it like a house afire initially, but tailed off and still no 100's. Went back to the M12 and kinda average shooting, still no 100's. Bought a 90-T and won lots of money, but still no 100's. Bought an Alfermann and started breaking 100's, plus punched back to the 27 where I had never been before. The Alfermann is an excellent gun, but so was the Ljutic, the 90-T and many other American made singles. So what made me shoot it so much better? Firstly, the trigger is hands down the best I've ever shot and I have tried all, I say all single bbls. Secondly, and here's where guncase comes in, Wenig fitted a custom stock to me.

Buz

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Who has Wenig's web address?

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

http://www.wenig.com/

Jim

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim

20. Loyac