1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a boat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sterlingworth, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I am looking in to buying a small [16ft] aluminum boat for the lakes aroud my area.I amm trying to figure out which one. Does anyone have a favorite brand,and why? years a go ,I had a starcraft,served me well but I dont think there still in buisness.Any ideas welcome..Ray

2. Rummrunar

Rummrunar TS Member

The Smoker Craft Alaskan is really popular here in the Pacific Northwest. Well built and safe. The Lodge series is also a good Smoker Craft, deeper and wider. Duroboat is also a good boat but not nearly as popular as the Alaskan.

Bill

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The Lund's are still a rugged choice.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Where are you located??

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lund is like Chevrolet, older used ones are fetching good prices. This is a fantastic time to buy a boat, keep an eye on Craigslist. Starcraft, Mirro, Smoker are all decent, lots of good ones for your purpose.

Don't bother with anything that's on there for more than a month, as it probably has open sores.

HM

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

As far as new, there's not a lot of junk out there these days. PrinceCraft, Lund, Smoker, all good. Also take a look at G3. That's what I settled on and it's a very well made boat.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

In my experience, stay away from the older ones with a lot of rivets. They tend to develop leaks. Bill

8. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Lund, alumacraft,crestliner you cant go wrong. Lund & ALumacraft have rivots(so do planes). Crestliners are welded. Go with a modern motor(fuel injected) Nothing ruins a trip like motor problems...btw the motor will cost more than the boat. Also consider the trailer if primative ramps are used you will want a roller style...GL

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I found an older Starcraft aluminum 18 foot runabout (yes with rivets but doesn't leak) gutted it, new floor etc. now have just what I was looking for, big--wide--open--deep. 5&1\2' wide flat floor 12+' long, plenty of room to move around and for gear. Foot control trolling motor on the bow which is about 5&1\2 long with storage underneath, 35 hp long shaft tiller handle OB on transom. NOT the fastest thing on the lake but serves my needs just fine. Have more invested in the trolling motor-battery than I do in the boat. Ross Puls

10. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Sterlingwoth, do yourself a favor and look at Sea Ark boats before you spend your money. Nothing like them. Check the thickness of the aluminum on the other boats and then check Sea Ark. All welded.

mash the link

http://seaarkboats.net/

11. guido

guido Member

Make sure you check with the Fed's, they might not be legal. You know they, might hold to many people or something like that.

Guido

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Please don't buy an "assault" boat or Obummer will be unhappy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

duroboat in buisness