1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking through the barrell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Hey Guys,

How many of you hold a high gun and look through the barrell for the bird?
    After watching Frank Little's singles dvd I'm intersted in learning more about this method.
    I would have run to the club to try it for myself but its pouring here in upstate NY
    Any hints or tips would be great.
    Thanks!

Tom

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've started doing just that. Seems to work well.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Since the mid-70s. I don't hold the gun remarkably high but do position the gun left/right so that I can see the bird exit the house by looking down "through" the barrel of the gun. The only exception is/was when I shot doubles where I looked right over the muzzle of the barrel which was positioned rather high on the expected track of the straight away bird for the first shot.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When looking through the barrel you are looking under the barrel with your non shooting eye. Righthand shooters are looking under the gun with their left eye.

I like to do this when shooting the first bird in doubles. I like to trap the first bird and hold a level gun on the flight path of the first bird. I'm righthanded and when I see the first bird exit the house with my left eye I pull the trigger and move to the second bird.

The image that I see appears like I am looking through the gun. Since there is no gun movement, it makes moving to the second fast and easy. HMB

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

windyflat,

It is very common for two eyed shooters. Pick the bird up as quickly as you can, make a move to it, and kill it.

You do not want to trap the bird. Even in Doubles, you want to set up so there is a slight movement to the bird for two reasons. First, the bird will not exit in exactly the same spot every time. Second, you want to initiate gun movement that helps you to move smoothly to the second shot.

If possible, take a clinic with Hoppe, Harrison, Ross, Campbell, Kiner, etc. Best investment you will make, and you will quickly surpass most club shooters. Get the basics right before you develop bad habits.

Don Verna

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I had a guy do this one time at a registered shoot. We were shooting doubles and the shooter was standing to my right. I'd raise my gun to call for the target and he would raise his gun. I'd stop and dismount my gun and start over.

This went on for a couple of minutes before the shooter stopped doing this. I found it very distracting! I have very good periphial vision and don't wear blinders (they are for buggy horses).

And yes, when it was all said and done my score was better than his. I shot a 93 with my 870 and he broke a 88 with his Perazzi.

ss

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

For this technique; Set the gun and your eyes without movement. Keep the gun steady until the target passes through the plane of the barrel > allow time for your eyes to lock on to it. Then move onto target and swing through while shooting. Less gun movement, allows you to see odd targets coming out (timing etc.) without feeling like you must "catch" them. Some of the best shooters I know do this and you find that it can actually allow you to shoot quicker. Also, you may find that you will want a higher shooting gun; 80 > 100% over to compensate for the rising target. I find that I have more trouble doing this when I'm tired or my back is sore.

If you start with a very high gun and then shoot the target at barrel level, or come down on the target; that's "trapping" a target.

JT

8. windyflat

windyflat Member

That's the info I was looking for.
    Thanks!

Tom

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Consume at your own risk!

Guy B.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Be warned that Not everyone can hold a real high gun over the trap house. I must hold a lower gun over the house because my left eye is just dying to take over and not give control back to my on-shoulder right eye. A high gun hold leads to a compromise in visibility of the target.

11. windyflat

windyflat Member

Tried it about an hour ago and had 23 smoked targets. I won't bore you with BS on the two I dropped but I like what I saw today and will continue to work on it.

Tom

12. windyflat

windyflat Member

When I finished my round I took the wireless mic back into the club and explained what I was doing to a fellow member and he looked at me like I was crazy. Thats ok with me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.