1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for stock refinish stain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I'm having a double rifle of mine refinished and am searching for a stain. Right now it is basic walnut. Anyone aware of some kind on slight reddish tint stain like English walnut. Also something to bring out the grain. The refinisher has also offered me matte or satin semi- gloss

Looking for opinions and help

I think brown ells had an English walnut stain that got high rating but I dont know which one it was

2. lostandout

lostandout Member

i use minwax antique oil finish drys hard as a rock and if it gets marked up can be easaly tuched up it can be done in gloss or saten can post pics of finish if you would like

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Alkanet Root is what you are looking for. If you have a lot of 'busy' in your timber, it will pop it ALL out in 23 different colors.

Can you get your re-finisher to (start) you an oil finish, that you can finish to perfection in your leisure?

Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

This can get complicated. I would start with a penetrating stain. Minwax is good. It comes in several colors and each color can be mixed with the other colors. Sounds like you need a can of Minwax Dark Walnut and a can of Minwax Redwood. Start with equal parts of each and see if you like the color. If you want more red, use more redwood and less walnut. If you want the overall color lighter add thinner. Then, if you want to get more complicated, the colors that are available at the paint mixing counter can also be added to stains. They will sell you a squirt of white, black, red and yellow. With these pigments, a couple cans of stain, some rags and test wood, you can make about any color you want.

Next, you can buy dry water soluble pigments and get another set of colors. I have even mixed natural pigments. Walnut hulls are easy to get in the fall. The red pigment from red soil is easily extracted as is the red pigment from raspberries and fresh cherries.

I have spent several hours mixing up just the right stain for a gun stock. Mixing takes a lot of time but application of the stain with a rag only takes a couple of minutes.

Mix your own stain and ship it to your refinisher.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alaknet stock finish

alkanet root gunstock

alkanet root stained stock

alkanet root stock finish

gunstock refinish with alkanet root

rifle stock stain colors

stain colors for gun stocks

staining gun stocks