1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some Dove hunting in eastern PA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Looking for a place to dove hunt this year. Many of the places I used to hunt are not conducive for hunting any more.

I hunted at a place near Reading once a few years ago. I believe it is owned by the city. I parked and walked down an old set of railroad tracks into a field. There were a couple of huge grit piles and the doves were running the gauntlet past atleast 15 of us to get to them.

Anyone know of this place and are the doves around?

Anwhere else you guys know of would also be appreciated.

I am in Delaware County area (south of Phila.) and don;t mind a little ride for some good dove hunting.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

You and me both. I used to hunt all around Eureka Quarry, and along the tracks in Telford near 309. Not any more. All the places I hunted where I grew up are housing delelopments and shopping malls. Just too much hunting pressure has led everyone with land to post no hunting. You've got to be good friends with a farmer these days. State game lands just don't draw the doves.

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

There was a GREAT place to shoot doves near Nazareth, PA. It was at a cement factory. A water filled quary was across the street where they did check out dives. All i can remember was the cement factory was bordered by a corn field and the doves were always flying into the cement factory for grit.

The shooting was great.

That had to be 25 years ago and I believe the cement factory is gone. I do think the quarry still does the check out dives and things like that.

I think the corn field may now be developed.

I used to think the Lehigh Valley was the "country". Now down my way Del/Chester county area is more "country" then up that a way.

Its a shame.

Maybe guys out in the Oxford area know of some places out their way????

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I just discovered a honeyhole for doves here in Cumberland County last Saturday. A farmer my son met in the dental office where he works was more than happy to have us thin some of his groundhog population. We stopped out Saturday morning and found the soy bean and alphafa fields too high to hunt right now, but had doves literally by the hundreds flying overhead. Lots of deer-damaged corn, too. Seems there's an apple orchard and pond on the farm right next door... He green-lighted the doves but has family that might object to strangers hunting "their" deer.

Check with your local farmers - very few won't welcome a responsible-looking varmint hunter and you never know what that can lead to. Another place I've had luck finding farms on which to hunt is the local farmers' co-op - they often know which farmers have a 'hog problem.

Ed

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A few years ago I was driving back to Delaware from Hershey through Lancaster County and I stopped at an Amish farm, near the Quarryville area, where they were selling watermelons (and other items). While purchasing a few items, I saw a large number of pigeons around the barn. I asked the young boy if they had a pigeon problem and would his father like them disposed of....long story made short, I got permission to eradicate the pigeons and in doing so ended up having a great dove shoot also.

My point is, take a drive, stop at some of the local farms that sell farm products, ask and you may end up with a good shoot...

Curt - Delaware

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dove hunting in southeastern pa

pennsylvania dove hunting forum