1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Shotgun Sports related Research Ideas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dgfhsu13, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Alright guys I need some research ideas for one of my graduate classes. I would like it to be related to shotgun sports in some way. Being as I am a member/grad assistant for the FHSU shooting team I will have a lot of resources at my disposal. So throw up some idea's of what you have always wondered and could be reasonably tested and completed by Dec. Thanks

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider the barrel as an organ pipe that vibrates and has a pitch when shell is fired. See how those variations effect patterns. Note that bedding torque, stock stiffness, floating barrel in the stock, and the like are crucial for the accurate rifle. So..I.d venture that barrel bore, degrees of choke etc., give different results depending upon barrel harmonics. I am no engineer, so, perhaps described this a bit awkwardly.
    (Different patterns with same shell, barrel, choke, and stock depending upon barrel harmonics that can be manipulated externally or with barrel wall thickness.)

Appreciate your opinion re. my idea.

3. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Chango2 - An incredibly interesting idea, however I do not have the resources to take measurements or to supply a good number of different variables in that amount of time. To be a little more specific this is technically a leadership class though the topic does not have to deal directly with it our professor would prefer it.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hmmm, leadership class. Perhaps go to some classic psychological personality meausurements such as nAch, need to achieve by Atkinson and McClelland. Are trapshooters really more competitive in life, social, adventurous, etc? Are the best shooters high on the nAch scale, or shooting well merely because they are naturally good and enjoy winning, acclaim and comaradarie?

Are the best shooters, as often seen in the military, e.g., astraunauts, so often first born or only children that are male?

Shoot me a pm if you'd like, this is via Android and I can articulate more and better when I get back to my "real" computer.

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Something simple and really helpful for new shooters (maybe experienced shooters that are struggling). Take scores before and after training to see if this helps.

"We're going to try a new training exercise with you today."

"After you say 'pull', I want you to say 'on' when both your eyes are on the target."

Do some reps of the the above standing with your back to the edge of the cement, watching the shooters eyes.

"Now I want to see you move your gun AFTER you say 'on'."

Watch from the edge of the cement again...

The idea in the training exercise is to make the behavior 'overt' or external so the student and teacher have something to point at and say - that was right or wrong. It has to be obvious - mostly to the shooter really.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You did not say what topic the research is supposed to cover. Engineering, Business Administration, Biology, etc.. Also you didn't say what level you have reached in grad school. Are you a masters student or a PhD student? Are you just starting, is it your second or third year?

7. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Topic wise is somewhat open but it is a leadership class. This is my first semester in my masters program.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

why do shooters post on forums rather than shoot?

9. Avaldes

What is your major? I assume this class is in your deparment right?

10. Avatar

A December deadline doesn't give you much time at all, IMHO. I'm also not sure what "leadership" class means. But, you might analyze and gain some useful insights into something interesting that is already there. For instance, you could look at Winchester's new AA Traacker shells, to determine how well they work, the parameters in which they work, etc. Or, holding most things constant--perhaps the gauge, barrel and choke--you could do a study into other influences on the clumping and distribution of shot on the way from the shell to the pattern board.

Good luck!

11. dgfhsu13

dgfhsu13 TS Member

Major is Organizational Leadership not that it matters for this question,I was just seeing if there were any interesting ideas that the shooting world had that I was over looking that I could possibly devote some time and effort to that is all.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

One topic that may be worth looking into, from a leadership viewpoint, is what motivates a person to seek a State director or ATA Delegate position in our sport.

Thousands of shooters participate, hundreds more complain, but very few step forward to put their time and effort into a leadership role.

This website alone is frequented by enough present and former ATA and State officials to get a good base for your research. I bet many more would take part that we do not even know are on here. If I were doing research on this topic I would start with two people right off. Neil Winston of Mn and Phil Thyer of Iowa. Both would have some good information for you on their experience.

Some of the people who step up to lead have had considerable success in the competitive side of the sport, and some have not. What drives either group to lead?

Does success as a shooter guarantee success as an official? (ok maybe we already can answer that one)

Anyway, there are just a few avenues to explore on the topic.

13. Avaldes

Well "leadership" of a science organization is completely different than "leadership" of a social organization, which is completely different than "leadership" of a family organization.

I would assume that based on your description, you are in a business administration program or some kind of professional studies program? So you will get an MBA at the end of this? If that is the case, then you may want to taylor your research toward the business of shooting sports. Perhaps how that is different than the social aspect of shooting sports. There are clubs that are volunteer run and are an extension of the group of people hanging out and having fun. Then there are clubs that are run as a business, and they are professionally run, with the goal of providing a service for shooters/customers. At some point there is an intersection of the two.

Those are the types of topics that a professor will look for in grad school.