1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Propane Tank advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm going to get a 30,000btu Lp gas "blue flame" heater to use for emergency heat, in case of a power outage. I don't want a big propane tank in my yard. I'm going to run a line out of my basement to a portable tank. My question is how big of a tank/s do I need to run this heater in cold (20 degree) weather? I've been told a small(30#) tank will freeze? up during use? Your thoughts?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I lived in Yakima Wa and the temps in the winter would get to 15 -20. I had a heater in the barn that I let run to keep the animals warm. I had two 40lb cylinders that sat outside and they never froze?

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

DOUG Why would a 30# tank freeze up ? You can get 100lb tanks but they must be deliverd to you you can no longer haul them yourself .

A 30 lb. tank will likely run your heater for two or three days non stop and you can get them at most places on sundays to for around 20 bucks .

If you had two 30# tanks you would be good for a week .

ALF

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The propane tanks won't freeze up unless it's colder than -44degrees. That's the temp liquid propane boils at. When colder than -44 degrees for sustained periods of time the tank may not push propane into the stove if the tank is low on propane and the gas has got to run uphill to get to the stove. Do you see what I mean? I'm not making this a science project but whoever told you the tank would freeze must have seen a leaking tank in the rain.Go as the one guy posted and use the 30 pound cylinders they will last a couple days each in a ice storm and no electricity situation for a furnace as large as you have. Dan

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Dan is correct about tanks freezing up, even down South in Georgia tanks will freeze up when they get low of propane and the line goes up to the heater, usually the flame will drop off indicating a low gas condition. I have a 100lb cylinder(almost 25 gallons) I use for such emergencies. Don't know what state you are in but we can haul them for fill up, however the tank must be in an upright position. Lowe's sell the tanks new for just under $100.00 or at least they did up until recently since everything is going up except salaries. Jackie B.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

SHOOTING JACK It,s not the temp freezing up the tank it,s the humidity in the air . Heavy air . When the air gets heavy the LP gas does not turn to a gas but stays a liqid but only when the tank is low .

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

My house is all electric.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF-99- Your post really confused me. First, humid air is lighter than dry air (check out Avogadro's number in your High School Chemistry book).

I, like Jackie B. bought a 100 pound tank from Lowes. It will operate one gas fireplace all Winter. I only turn on the fireplace for a couple of hours in the evenings when it gets really cold (below 30 degrees). When the tank is empty, I declare that Winter is over. I do now need to fill the tank. It is very easy to take the empty tank to a filling station. It is very hare to get the filled tank back into position behind my shrubbery.

Pat Ireland

9. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

An unvented LPG heater run indoors will release a lot of water vapor into an enclosed space like a house not to mention the amount of oxygen it will consume. In cold weather that will create a lot of condensation on walls and windows.

Andy Moreland

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

You know what you could also do is buy a generator. You could then use electric portable heaters or buy a generator large enough to power your central heat, fridge and TV. A big advantage of a generator is you can keep a few days worth of gas in cans and it would work in summer months with power outages etc and not only help you in the winter.

David

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

The propane does not actually freeze, that term comes from the frost that forms on the outside of the tank when you try to use too much too quickly in low tempertures. What happens is that the liquid propane will not vaporize quickly enough in very cold weather to keep up with the demand of the appliance. An alternative to consider is the 'Buddy Heater' line I have one that is 9000 btu one thatt is I believe 18,000. tip over switches and oxygen sensors. Can be used with small cyliners or witha line to a gas grill size or even larger tanks. Bill

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Pat my friend I,m not sure how things work in your part of the country . Here in Indiana when it,s very humid people say man is the air heavy today .

I know it,s wrong but you come and straighten them out .

ALF

13. abcd

abcd Member

The propane does not freeZe, the regulator freezes,do not use those lillte regulators that are o gas grills will not support high volume of gas going thru ,propane is pumped as a liguid,the gas coming off that liqquid is what you burn, I own a campgroud, believe me.

14. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I heat my shop with propane and Haskins Bill is correct. A propane supply company can best assist you in matching a bottleā€™s delivery rate and regulator to the heater and the local climate. Insufficient flow from an improperly sized bottle is dangerous due to incomplete combustion.

I found that I prefer the ceramic panel radiant heaters to the blue flame type.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am no expert on propane. I did however heat my home with propane. I heated my water with electric. When one of the heating aliments in the water heater stopped working. I found I could purchase a propane hot water cheap and the turn around time on the hot water was faster.

I asked my propane supplier about it he said that I would need to install larger supply lines because in creasing the demand would cause the regulator and lines to freeze in the colder weather.

My advice would be ask a professional who deals with propane on a daily basis.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.