1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for over under shotgun advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by squall750i, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squall750i

squall750i TS Member

Used to shoot trap a lot when I was younger, but haven't done so for several years. Looking to get back into it and am interested in buying an economical over/under 12 gauge. Can anyone give me some pointers on a decent gun or brand? I don't want to be spending big dollars, but also know that you get what you pay for. Thanks!

Chris Kofford

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Used Beretta. Check Joel Etchen's website ... http://www.joeletchenguns.com/ ... and Jaqua's ... http://www.jaquas.com/ ... good place to start for price comparisons. Bill Malcolm

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Chris: You will probably get numerous responses to your inquiry on this site. However, only you can decide what gun feels good to you. Try to shoot several types of Over/Unders at your local club. Most shooters will allow you to shoot a round with their gun. The key to your inquiry is your perception of "economical". Over/Unders are somewhat more pricey than your semi-autos or pump action trap guns. After deciding which gun feels "good" to you; I would then try to find a good used gun. (Just like a car, new guns do depreciate). If it were me I would concentrate on the more popular economical over/unders; that have a proven track record. These would be the Beretta 682 or the Browning Citori. There are a "ton" of these guns around and can be had at a reasonable price. Also, if you ever decide to upgrade or sell the gun; you will not lose a lot of $$. Try to shoot the 30" barrels and the 32" barrels.Compare and see which swings better. Also, keep in mind if you can find a decent gun with tubes; it will allow you to shoot other clay target sport, such as sporting clays. Anyway, Good Luck in your search and welcome back to the clay target sport. Ed

4. squall750i

squall750i TS Member

Been checking out the Browning Citori and the Beretta 682 on the web after reading your responses. They look to be a lot better than what I was looking at before. (Charles Daly was what I've been looking at, but to be honest, that's because the price tag was extremely small compared to almost everyone else!) I'll definitely take your advice on handling different guns before making a final choice. I've made the mistake before of buying something on a sales rep's opinion instead of checking things out myself. I appreciate your advice!

Chris

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Beretta, Browning, and Remington 3200 guns are the most likely to get you into a one-gun-does-all trap shotgun for somewhere between $900 and $1500. All used, of course.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

Chris, check out the website above. If you're anywhere near Indiana I highly recommend Indiana Gun Club. They will let you shoot any used gun in the racks and they have nearly 1,000 to choose from. They will even sell you a gun and ship it to your local FFL.

Good luck with your hunt,

Steve

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree. If you can find a way to visit the Indiana Gun Club; it would certainly be a benefit. As Steve states, you can shoot the gun prior to buying it. Also, they have a large inventory of guns and are very honest people and a pleasure to do business with. I bought several guns from Steve Smith over the phone. If you don't like the gun just ship it back. No questions asked. All you are out is the shipping. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.