1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for opinions 12ga SxS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

I have an unexplained urge to buy a 12ga SxS. Any opinions? Looked at a real nice Winchester 23 Pigeon. Any experiences with the Weatherby Athena SxS? Any info will be useful. Thanks to all.

2. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

There are many great SXS available - but first what are u going to be using it for? Most are field guns - barrel length, chokes, and fit are all very important and should be carefully determined - Older guns tend to have alot off drop on the stock and may prove to be difficult to shoot(with a little practice you'll adapt)The winchester 23 is an excellent SXS - you may find the barrels a little on short side as alot of them came with 26 inch tubes - again depending on what your using it for, it may not be a problem - if you could find one with 28 inch barrels I believe you'd be better off - I would recommend you shoot some - read and talk to other sxs shooters - Oh and by the way there is no price limit on these guns - if you want to buy new, AYA,Arietta,are fine quality guns and come in various price ranges - you can get some good buys on used also- i'm a firm believer in you get what u pay for - also there are alot off Browning SXS's on the used market and there pretty good guns(and may not empty your wallet) J Mroczka

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

New Loader, e-mail me billgrillatcharterdotnet I have a bunch of good info for you. Bill

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

be sure and pattern the gun as some don't shoot the same place, left to right (cross fire)

5. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

new loader, check out the CZ brand. I was impressed by their looks as well as quality and the price is not that stiff. Mike

6. tj303

tj303 Member

Buy a 20 gauge.

7. new loader

new loader Member

Eddie: very nice 23. About the Ruger, those guns are homely as homemade soap. I want something with curb appeal like the 23 shown by Eddie. Keep the suggestions coming. Very interesting replies so far.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

new loader- My opinion only. There is something classy and traditional using a nice S X S in the field. I like them.

Pat Ireland

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

new-loader,

I own and shoot many SXS guns. Of those mentioned thus far, disregard the Ruger, CZ (Huglu) or any gun made in Turkey, Russia or Brazil. The Japanese made Win 23, Browning BSS or older SKBs are all good shooters. Years ago the Spanish made guns were junk, but today they make very good guns and some of them are quite affordable. They shoot and handle better (IMO) than the Jap guns, which tend to be heavy and clunky. I have a passion for older American doubles and particularly like early 20's AH Fox guns and pre 20's LC Smiths, either of which I would choose over what's been mentioned. Passions aside, that 23 looks like a good clean shooter.

10. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I have a nice 12 ga. Browning BSS IC and Mod. 26" Bevertail $1000 single Trigger

11. JOND

JOND TS Member

Don't forget the Winchester Model 24. If money is no object,then how about the Winchester Model 21 ! JOND

12. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Nothing wrong with Savage Fox mod b. I have one in 12 and 20. Vent rib, single trigger. Can pick them up minty for $500 to $600. Got a rooster with the 20 this morning. Life is good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.