1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for New Gun......Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BlzMTU88, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlzMTU88

BlzMTU88 TS Member

I was hoping some of the veterans on this site could give me some guidance on looking for a new trap gun since you have had more experience in this sport than me. I just finished my last year as a Junior shooter and I would like to replace my current Beretta 682X Combo with something up to date. Its been a terrific gun however its spending more time in the gun shop than it is on the trap field. I plan to continue shooting for many years to come and was wondering what everyone thinks would be a good trap gun to continue my shooting with?

Thanks,

Kyle

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have many acquaintances that rely on the 682 models and with very little down time. I'd have to wonder about your repair facility and their knowledge and workmanship if it's spending a lot of time in the shop. If you really feel good about the "combo" system, you don't have too many choices and all of them tend to be on the expensive side. "Buy the best you can afford..." is good advice from MX-8B. That means Perazzi, Krieghoff, and some of the totally custom guns. Like any choice, however, you must give them a try and I'm sure one or the other will shine as right for you....Bob Dodd

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Add a PFS stock to any guns above and your set.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I shot my Beretta for many years and she never let me down on the line. I agree with Bob, that your repair facility must be missing something. I bought a used Kolar in February and it is an absolutely dream to shoot. The learning curve has been somewhat troubling at times. I suggest that you try all the different guns that you can. You will find that one will just "feel right" compared to the others ... that is why I now have my Kolar. Bill Malcolm

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

K Gun all the way.

6. oz

oz Active Member

how about a 682E combo? or a DT10? or an SO? oz

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Your first choice would be the 682-X you have, assuming it is being repaired correctly.

If you want a completely new gun, try an older 1100 in good shape, and learn the PM routine for it.

(I've owned two Beretta 682s, one a 682-X combo and a 682 Gold "E" and an early vintage Ljutic monogun)

I returned to my 1100 of my teenage years after a decade of flirting around with the so-called "better" guns and am now breaking better scores than ever
    and have FEWER breakdowns than I did with any of the so called "better" hinge guns.

Seriously, give one a try.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Perazzi combo's. rg

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Go find a Ljutic that fits and it'll last you a lifetime. There are guys out there who have put a million shells thru one without a repair. Everyones gun is a little different than everyone else's but the Ljutic's are made to last a lifetime. Dan

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Perazzi and DT-10 will both spend time in the shop. Most Perazzi owners have Giacomo on speed dial.

The DT-10's locking system is not as strong as it should be, and resale is terrible, as is Perazzi's.

For a good gun with no frills, and a minimum of down time, the Browning XT O/U is hard to beat.

As one who performed firearms warranty service and repair on about 25 brands, including Perazzi, I must say that Brownings gave less trouble than any brand I serviced.

11. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

There are many Great Guns made today. I have had Many of the top ones. Depending on where you live buy a Gun from a dealer that will help you with fit and repair service. Don't buy a gun and carry it out the door and struggle with it until you give up on it. The best Gun for you is the one that fits you and you shoot well.
    Allen

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Browning XT..see Shooting Coach's - who works on guns - comments above...and he is not offering to sell you a gun. Having seen lots of competition guns in action, I have noted that all the K, P, B and other guns break down quite frequently, but Brownings rarely break down. The Browning design is proven. Just one person's opinion, but Browning offers the best value for the dollar. Best Regards, Ed

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Buy my MX-2000 unsingle and I already have the over/under barrels in a brand new Americase, with all of the paperwork that comes with it ... The gun has been shot very little and looks like new ... It has the up graded wood and its had a PFS on it since right after I got it and it can be part of the sale or not ... The barrels are unmolested and they are not ported, the gun has sat in the safe for the last year or so and needs a new home ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

If you don't mind it not being a combo, Ljutic is the way to go...

15. mwmd

mwmd Member

MX8 PERAZZI COMBO, AFFORDABLE AND WILL LAST FOREVER

MW

16. Billster

Billster TS Member

If you're shooting singles, I'd highly recommend the Browning BT-99. What a sweetheart. Gracoil and adjustable comb. Been toying with the idea of selling it and 'upgrading' to an XT (just in case I ever get into doubles) but can't get myself to part with the BT. Simplicity and high quality for a great price methinks. I'll stick to singles for a while longer just to keep the BT.

Good luck and cheers
    Bill Stengel

17. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

For singles only, buy a Ljutic. For doubles, buy a Citori Plus Trap. If you can find a combo, get the Citori Plus Trap Combo. Has all the adjustments you need, and the reliability of the Browning Citori. Steve

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Take WPT up on his offer. Never met a Browning that didn't like to beat the snot out of you. If your're going to shoot a lot of targets then go with a P or K gun. If you are going to shoot all events then go with a combo, if definately makes a difference. Look around there is some good slightly used guns out there.

Good Luck and take your time.

Don

19. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

The nice thing about the Browning Plus guns, is the adj. rib, adj. stock, and the recoil reducer. Plus, a combo can usually be had for around $2500. Steve

20. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

See Attached link...if you buy a good used K-80 combo now, you will save money on all the other guns you will own before you eventually get a K-80 combo later. Expensive, even over-priced, but worth it! JoeBerg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.