1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for laser metal cutter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

looking for someone to cut 1/4" steel strips without warping or distorting. i am wanting to make tapered addon steel ribs. --wally riebesell 660-744-4115

2. checker

checker Member

Most any full service welding shop, sheet metal shop, (do Google for your city or state...."Plasma Cutter") has a Plasma Cutter...same thing as Lazer Cutter??

3. acss

i didnt realize they were the same- thanks

4. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

Plasma and laser is completely different. Depending on what you want you should be able to buy precision steel for what you want, If you only want 1/4 strips check a company called MSC industrial supply and look up low carbon steel or tool steel. It comes in 36 inch lengths normally and is ground to size.Any size from 1/16 x 1/4 to 1/4 x 1/4 are standard. Any problems email me with actual sizes and I will send you a link
    Dave

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Laser and Plasma are not the same. Hi-Definition Plasma and Laser Cutting are two distinct processes. Other processes to make long thin strips include water jet and turret press operations. You may even find that a saw or shear is the best for your project. There are a lot of options depending on gage, material, edge desired, quantity, and eventual process or finish. Some processes to cut the metal may inhibit your eventual process finish or surface characteristic or the edge you require. In almost all cases, you will need post processing to get your product (grinding, sandblasting, heat treating perhaps,then plating or blueing) Plus.... what are you adding the ribs to? How are you going to do it - welding or some other process?

As you can see, you have some homework to do. Many metal shops will have one or another process, few will have all. If your product will undergo stress, heat or other challenges (such as use in firearms) you have another set of issues to deal with. If this is for a fire arm, this is a limited speciality and needs an engineer or designer with that experience from the start.

I think you need to sit down with a metals design engineer (or 2 or 3) and discuss what you want and he can guide you on the choice material, process etc. Doing your homework up front will waste less time & money in manufacturing.

You are not going to get YOUR advice on this from Google at this point. Google, or Hoovers, or ThomasNet will get you a supplier(s)to make the products, or perhaps aid in locating a metal design engineer in you area.

PS - (I worked in management for a metal fabrication company for 13+ years)

good luck

js

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not the answer you want....but....I'd rather slam my hand in a car door than make steel add on ribs.....%~)

7. acss

thanks for the info-- what i have been doing is - taking 26" long 1/4" x 1/4" keystock and grinding from the 1/4" down to 1/8" at the oppisite ( muzzel end). the 1/8" drop is obviously giving us a higher shooting poi. the 1/4" width is just narrow enuf to fit on a wide rib.- the steel weight on the entire barrel length feels better, than an added weight to the mag. tube cap. we ramp the back 15 degrees and adhere the painted or blued metal to the rib with meadow industries tape. this goes on a 30" barrel and falls just ahead of the reciever.-- the problem with grinding is some inaccuracy but also we take the temper out of the metal and it curves slightly!-- this really works on a 32" auto barrel,-- with the feeling of the weight being more evenly distributed.-- if i can keep the metal flatter and more even, the tape wud adhere better.- we screwed some of them on, which i dont really like- thats why i wanted fabrication with low heat.

8. acss

221-- keep telling yourself-- "weight is your friend"- or whippy barrels lack muzzel control. -- i've slammed my hand in a door!!!!!

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

My suggestion would be to find a shop around you with a water-jet machine. They can hold .001" pretty easily, and since it's cutting with water, there's virtually no heat generated.

Considering we make ribs out of plastic (ABS and Delrin) and I assume you are just doing this as a little project, I doubt you need to sit down with a design engineer to decide what you need to do...Hope this helps, Josh.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've had 1/4" add-on ribs laser cut in steel and aluminum. Edge finish is not that great on easier. It will cause warping in aluminum, but the steel was pretty stable (I was able to hand straighten the aluminum). I'm currently using a delrin rib I had waterjet cut, edge finish is ALOT better, and I would probably go that route again if and when I need more add-on ribs...

11. dflo

dflo Member

Well what you are trying to do. Will not work real weel with a laser. The kerf will require post processing.

Two things could be causing the curve. 1st grinding to fast and the metal is drawing to the in side just reheat and use a wet rag to draw or pull the rib straight. Another thing could be the serface tension in the material. Being cold drawn and only removing metal from one side will cause the material to warp. Try machining all sides. The esiest way is find someone with a Vertical mill and take a indexable carbide end mill and hog it off in nothing flat.

Dale

12. acss

i have several delrin ribs and i still go back to the weight thing-- it just feels differant with the steel, clear to the muzzel end, and i have bucket of addon weights that i dont use

13. acss

dale - thanks- ill do a search in the omaha area shops

14. dflo

dflo Member

No problem. If you have problems let me know. I can make them at my shop or help with prints for other shops.

Dale

15. acss

i spoke with MSC- very helpful thanks-- but i aint got it done yet-- but will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooters plasma designs