1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Instruction material

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by akhunterphil, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

Hey Folks, My girls are shooting a couple times a week now burning up shells faster than I can buy them. They are shooting Trap, Skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays. I'm looking for suggestions on learning material. Anyone have any good videos for sale or any good suggestions?
    Phil

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Youtube.com is full of shooting instruction videos. Use the search to look for OSP, or Gil Ash. You will be down rabbit holes looking at videos for hours. Mark

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo Harrison's video for singles/handicap is a very complete instructional tool for all ages and levels of experience. Email to address above if interested.

4. t7731

t7731 Member

Not sure about what a good video is, but I can tell you that I bought Phil Kiners trapshooting Clinic and I would not reccomend it for newer shooters. While the information is good, there is just plain way too much of it to absorb. In addition, the indexing of all of the information is poor and difficult to return to if you want to focus or brush up on a specific area. I believe it is like 3 hours long in total.

The next video that I buy will be one that is 30 - 45 minutes long. That way I can pick up on three or four fundamentals to polish instead of everything that there ever was to know about shooting trap.

The reason I am bringing this up is that I asked a similiar question to yours and this Phil Kiner video was highly reccomended.

Trigger71 thanked this.
  5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

t7731......I have no trouble accessing any particular area I want to visit on Phil Kiner's video.

If you are a new shooter any class or instructional video will be too much to absorb, that is why you buy the video so you can replay it as necessary. I've had mine for quite some time now and still go back to it once and a while.

Phil's isn't the only good video, I bought it before Harlan and Leo came out with theirs. They all will tell you what you need to know.

Bill

6. t7731

t7731 Member

Bill,

Maybe we arent looking at the same video? I am talking about "Phil Kiner's Trapshooting Clinic" copywrite 2007 - Run Time 3:20. It has five parts:

Part One - Primary Instruction
    Part Two - Pre Shot Tune Up
    Part Three - Pre Shot Routine
    Part Four - Advanced Tips and Tatics
    Part Five - Shot Analysis

To me, this is poorly indexed. For example, if I want to revisit hold points or foot positioning, It would be nice to be able to access that without watching 90 minutes of Part one.

I watch this video primarily on my computer. Am I missing something. Is there a better index if I watch this on my TV through my DVD player? If so, please share. Thanks.

Mike

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You don't say where you live, and I'll open with something controversial, but if they want to lean to SHOOT you should look at the Dan Carlise school of shooting (he is a sporting clays shooter - along the lines of Digweed).

He has three proteges - Anthony Matarese (south Jersey), Will Fennel (South Carolina), and Corey Kruse any of which could provide instruction for your daughters.

Trap shooting and skeet shooting involve a somewhat limited skill set - focused on the unique nature of each shooting chalenge.

Sporting clays tries to give numerous varied shooting experiences - originally aimed at improving ones field hunting skills. Thus the things you need to excel here can be generalized to trap or skeet. Going the other way is much more difficult.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Mike...I've watched it on both the computer and DVD player....

It could also be our versions of easy access is different. I still have to find the chapter and fast forward to the point I want.

Bill

9. t7731

t7731 Member

I think you are correct. I would at least like a list of the different topics and at what point they can be found. I could then fast forward to them without trying to read phils lips at 8x speed.

Are all of the other other videos like this? Are there any better ones out there?

10. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

Thanks for the informations guys. I'll start looking for some of those videos. We live in Anchorage, Alaska so we cant just jump in the car and go to a school or catch a seminar.

Phil in Alaska

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Put an ad in the WTB section. Lots of people have these CD's they would sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.