1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Info. Remington 1100 barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kyskeet, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

How many different contour barrels for mod 1100 (Standard, light contour,etc.) did Remington make? Which will fit on which models? Assuming the forearm fit is the only consideration???

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

In 12 gauge, they made a pre-light contour screw-choke barrel that was thick and heavy. There are 3" barrels that are to go on 3" receivers only. There are (were?) 3" steel ammo barrels that could be used with steel ammo on standard receivers. 2 3/4" barrels will fit and function on 3" receivers. All 12 gauge 2 3/4" barrels will fit on standard receivers.

20 gauge is different. There are a couple of different 20 gauge 1100 models and their barrels do not inter-change.

All 28 gauge barrel are interchangeable.

In 410 they made 2 1/2" and 3". 1100 410 skeet barrels are 2 1/2".

3. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

Thanks, I was just wondering as to fitment on older 1100s vs newer 1100 12ga only. I have a couple of older 2-3/4 guns as well as a newer classic trap and variety of 12ga barrels and didnt know if all barrels (12ga 2-3/4") should fit or not. I dont think fitment barrel to reciever will be a problem but was unsure about barrel outside diameter to forarm. My plan is to fit and older skeet barrel with a cutts on it (throws a great pattern) to the newer classic trap (I like the way the stock fits me). This is my winter project.

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

All of your barrels are interchangeable on any 2 3/4" or 3" receiver, but you should only use 2 3/4" shells if you put a 3" barrel on a 2 3/4" receiver.

Standard contour barrels are .925 just in front of the gas cylinder(barrel hanger)and then taper towards the muzzle.

Target/Light contour barrels are .850" just in front of the gas cylinder(barrel hanger)an then maintain that diameter towards the muzzle

You need to use a standard contour fore end with a standard contour barrel and a Light Contour fore ends with a light contour barrel.

You can sand the barrel channel of a light contour fore end so it will work with a standard contour barrel, but then it will be a loose fit with a light contour barrel.

Michael Goines

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Your older barrels will fit on your classic receiver but you will need an older forearm. The new Classic uses a light contour barrel and the forearm has a narrower barrel channel. JM

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Correcting misinformation....

<i>"In 12 gauge, they made a pre-light contour screw-choke barrel that was thick and heavy. There are 3" barrels that are to go on 3" receivers only. There are (were?) 3" steel ammo barrels that could be used with steel ammo on standard receivers. 2 3/4" barrels will fit and function on 3" receivers. All 12 gauge 2 3/4" barrels will fit on standard receivers."</i>

The two barrel profiles are standard and light contour. It's a misnomer to call standard contour barrels "pre-light contour" because they continued in production even after the introduction of light contour barrels.

3" barrels will physically fit and fire on a 2-3/4" receiver, but this should not be done unless the action has been modified with the heavier magnum action sleeve. Except for some very, very early 1100s, the only difference between a magnum and non-magnum model is the action sleeve and the word "Magnum" stamped on the receiver.

One exception is the 3" steel shot barrel. It is designed to allow the use of 3" steel shot loads on a 2-3/4" action, but NOT 3" lead loads. Because a 2-3/4" action has the lighter action sleeve, the bolt velocity would be too high. This does not apply to the 3" Magnum actions. They can shoot 3" anything.

<i>"20 gauge is different. There are a couple of different 20 gauge 1100 models and their barrels do not inter-change."</i>

Actually, there are three different 1100 20ga models.

The standard 1100 20ga is built on the 12ga action. These have long been discontinued. They were never factory made with screw in choke tubes. Their appeal is that they fit large people better and readily take 12ga buttstocks. Small internal parts are hard to find. These guns were made in both 2-3/4" and 3" magnum versions. The magnum versions are not common. The same info about putting 3" barrels on 2-3/4" actions above applies to this model.

The LW-20 is built on the 28/410 receiver. These were 2-3/4" only. The external identifying feature is the ejection port being parallel top and bottom of the opening. The barrels use a short tang, like the 870. All factory LW-20 models had fixed chokes.

The LT-20 is also built on the 28/410 receiver. It has a long tang on the barrel. This required the top of the ejection port to be higher in the rear, which is noticeable. The LW-20 was also made in 2-3/4" and 3" Magnum models. The same info about 3" barrels on 2-3/4" actions applies.

------------------

There are some production changes on 1100 12ga barrels over the years. The 1100 eventually adopted the 1187 bolt. This bolt has a wider extractor slot. The latter barrel will readily fit earlier models with the narrow extractor. But, the earlier barrels may have fitment problems when installed on a later receiver. The solution is to fit BOTH SIDES of the extractor slit in the barrel until it clears the extractor with a bit of clearance room.

Late model 1100 12ga forends use the 1187 mag cap retention system. Instead of a detent ball in the forend itself, which engages indentations in the outer lip of the mag tube cap, the late version has a plastic internal retainer that is toothed, and it engages teeth inside the mag tube cap. The two are not interchangeable. An early forend will work on a late model gun. A late model forend will not work on an early gun. The only solution is to use something like a rubber o-ring around the mag tube as a soft lock washer. Not the best solution, but it does work.

Light contour barrels will fit any forend. While the barrel will have excessive clearance around it for most of its length, it will actually touch the forend from the chamber to the end of the forcing cone.

The standard contour barrel will NOT fit a light contour forend. Two choices - either find a standard contour forend, or open up the light contour forend until it fits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 standard contour skeet barrel
can 1100 barrel be modified to fit lw model
lt 20 gauge magnum barrel in regular receiver
remington 1100 target contour barrel

remington 1100 trap barrel

what kind of finish does the late model remington 1100 have on there barrels
will a light contour remington 1100 barrel work on any 1100
will a new remington 1100 barrel fit an old reciever