Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for hunting scope

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  shannon391 
#1 ·
I was looking for a decent optic for a model 700 .300 mag.

I bought it used but never fired. It was a package deal with a Cabelas brand 3x12 scope. I'm afraid to risk my hunt with a dirt cheap scope.

I thought I might catch a better deal here, anyone?

Thanks, Shannon

#3 ·
Everyone loves the Leupys. And their service is great. but you are paying for a name too.

I have all the names on a host of Pdog guns, and the one I prefer is a Zeiss Conquest.

FYI I do not use binocs, and I look throught that thing for hours on end while scanning. NO fatigue, and excellent clarity.

They also have many reticle choices.

I have to add, if you want to go right to the top there is always Nightforce, Swarovski, etc. 2X the money for 3 % more.

HM

#7 ·
Shannon,

The rage seems to be more power & bigger objectives when it comes to rifle scopes. On some setups that makes sense but I have discovered something in the last 5 years or so that really suprised me. I went the other direction on my most recent big game gun which is an A bolt in .300 WSM. When I bought it, I was planning on getting a VXIII Leupold probably in 3.5-10x but I had a VXIII that was 1.5-5x on another rifle that I wasn't using so I put that on the new gun just because I wanted to shoot it that day.

Well I got it zeroed and could't believe I was getting sub MOA groups even when I took it out to 300 yards. So I just kept the little Leupold on the A bolt and took it hunting. That year I got a decent Mulie, a great bull elk and a B&C class Nelson Bighorn sheep. The closest shot was 330 yards the longest was 425 (the elk). All shots were single round fast kills that hit right where I wanted.

What I really like about the little Leupold is that it is crystal clear and provides great resolution but it really seems to steady your shot as the minor movements are not magnified so much. I think this is a mental effect but for me it really helps put the round on target especially under field conditions.

A couple of years ago I finally did get a 4-14x VXIII and I put that on the A-bolt. It was okay on the bench (but no better than the lower powered scope) but I didn't like it for field shooting. So I swapped back and put the high powered Leupold on a .17HMR varmint gun.

Sometimes less is more ....

#9 ·
Wolfram discovered serendipitously what a lot of experienced shooters already know; there are few situations that low-modererate power scopes won't cover.

The big trade-off when selecting a scope is how much field of view on the lowest power setting you are willing to give up, for the coveted high end magnification. Variable power scopes are usually used on either the lowest or highest power settings. Other than when sighting in or shooting at long range the scope is kept on its lowest power so that if you have an close range encounter there is plenty of field of view so you can find the target quickly. The higher power, of the lowest the power setting, the less field of view. For example the Leupold VX-3 line; 1.5-5X, 1.75-5X, 2.5-8X, 3.5-10X, 4.5-14X

1.5-5X20 has a field of view on 1.5X of 68' @ 100 yards

1.75-6X32 has a field of view on 1.75X of 51.4' @ 100 yards

2.5-8X36 has a field of view on 2.5X of 37.5' @ 100 yards

3.5-10X40 has a field of view on 3.5X of 29.8' @ 100 yards

4.5-14X40 has a field of view on 4.5X of 19.9' @ 100 yards

I am very fond of the 1.75-6X32, it has a huge field of view for close in shot and 6X is more than enough magnification for moderate range shots.

A 2.5-8X36 gives up 14' field of view to gain a bit more high in power, and is a good all around scope when you may occasionally have some longer shots.

A 3.5-1-X40 is very popular, but I don't recommend them to any but very experienced shooters when the gun is to be used in a predominantly woods situation, as the field of view drops to 29.8' and it becomes harder to find game at close range.

I would not recommend a 4.5-14X40 under any circumstances if there is going to be any woods hunting involved. Putting a higher magnification scope on a woods rifle because you might someday hunt somewhere else, makes as much sense as buying clothes 3 sizes too big in case you might get fat some day.

The same arguments are true of the VX-ll line;

2-7X33 field of view 34.6' @100 yards

3-9X40 field of view 44.6' @100 yards

The 2-7X33 is a good woods scope.

The 3-9X40 is a good compromise of low range field of view and higher magnification for longer shots.

Michael Goines

#14 ·
Nikon Monarchs are just great. Just don't get the BDC model, it clutters the view a little too much. I like the Monarch better than the Bushnell Elite 4200.

I like the side focus feature, you can use it as a crude rangefinder in a hurry situation. buying new, don't even think about a scope without side focus.

Just focus the target (assuming it is adjusted properly for your eyes) and read the range off the dial. Works pretty good on Pdogs.

As far as low power versatility goes, there is no law you have to set your scope on max.

HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.