1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for gunsmith in n/east pa.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sterlingworth, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I picked up a Ithaca 4-E,for a good price,the only thing is the top lever does not stay to the right when open,but goes to center.Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in my area[allentown & north] PA? The piece is in over all good shape,and Iam willing to spend whats needed,but I want it done right. Thanks for any info you may have..Ray..p.s ..found out it was made in 1973,one of the last ones I guess.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try Todd Beinhauer in Ottsville. 610-847-6839!!

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

How about John Allem?

Ed Yanchok

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I would not recommend Craig Colabaugh in Saylorsburg . Claims to be a 3200 expert and he screwed me on a repair job .

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sterlingworth, I suspect the trip is sticking in the hole and not moving up to lock the top lever to the open position. Look on the left side water table with the barrel and forend off. The trip pin is about 1/8" diameter and should stick up about 1/10" of an inch above the water table surface. Squirt some rem-oil or equivalent on the pin and hole area, and give it a blast of air then push on the pin with a ball point pen to allow the pin to rise when you hold the top lever over to the right. The pin is J shaped and has spring tension on it.

6. sterlingworth

Thanks guys,Ill try them all,Toolmaker251,Ill try what you said,as the pin is no were to be seen.I think a little wd-40 might free it up also..Ray

7. TOOLMAKER 251

Sterlingworth, look up the post Ithaca 5E and scroll down to last picture showing recoil face. On the water table you will see the pin sticking out to lock the top lever over. The singles work the same as the SXS.

8. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Dewey Vicknair, Lititz, PA...www.VicknairRestorations.com

He is the best gunsmith in the entire Mid-Atlantic Region.

If you've got a classic or rare firearm, he is the only one to let work on it.

-J.F. Wolfington
    Philadelphia, PA

9. clb

clb TS Member

I second Voolfie's recommendation for Dewey Vicknair. He's the one I go to for my Parkers. He's very busy so depending on the problem it may take time but you can be assured, it will be repaired right!

10. sterlingworth

Well,I took the trigger assembly off,and cleaned the pin area up,and found that someone had taken it apart before and lost the little spring that pushes the pin up,found a spring the same diamiter,cut to length,installed,works fine now. Thank you toolmaker 251,for the ideas...Ray

11. TOOLMAKER 251

Glad everything worked out for you, and you saved a lot of money. All these old guns are quite easy to work on if you have the right screw driver tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.