1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Good Training to switch sides

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Because of a severe vision problem I fear I may need to switch to shooting left handed...if anyone has some good documented training the would assist me coming back up to speed that they would not mind sharing ..I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you have had to go through this also..let me know how you managed to get through it..so far it feels so unnatural for me I'm wondering if I need to call it a career...Thanks in Advance CalvinMD

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Calvin, when I first started shooting I shot right handed and couldn't hit crap. I didn't know why until I found out I was right eye dominant. I switched to shooting lefty and like you it felt unnatural and akward at first. I kept at it and the more I hit the better it felt. Just get out there and shoot as much, and as often as you can in that unnatural position. It will come to you. I still shoot handgun with my right hand but I cross over and aim with the left eye. Bulge.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

So far Bulge ..thats the only thing feeling ok is shooting the handguns

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

You might consider a cross over stock. Shooter named Melvin Wiley did this with some success...SMOKIT

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Calvin, I understand your problem..after forty-five years of shooting right handed, a shoulder replacement has forced me to start shooting left handed if I wanted to shoot at all. It's been about two years since I shot and six months after the surgery I went back shooting, a**backard as someone put it. Changed my stocks to left cast wood and spent a couple of days shooting "cans" (the metal ones) at the range just to get used to (one eyed) shooting. Had to cover a lens to accomplish shooting one eyed but the change is coming slow. On another fellas advice, I went to shooting "soft" one ounce loads and I'm seeing the improvement in my scores. You can take my word for it, "It ain't easy"..Watch your stance, didn't realize how important it could be! Good luck, where there's a will, there's a way!

Big Jack

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It just takes time. I know of several instances where guys have done this.

My brother in Law had a clot kill his left eye( He was a lefty) and just now is shooting good agtain. He thought he was done but decided to try shooting righty. I gave him a field gun to use and he got started.

Now he has an XT and is shooting in the 20's after 8 months of regular shooting.

You can do it. Just do it.

HM

7. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

CalvinMd, You will be successful at switching. I suggest you start thinking "left handed", as far as shooting is concerned. You do this by visualizing yourself shooting as a left hander. Picture your left handed stance, left handed gun mount, weight somewhat forward on your right foot/leg, all those things that make good shooting form. Visualizing twenty minutes a day for a couple of weeks, or so, should help a lot. In addition to visualizing, some home therapy is in order. This means gun mounts and swinging and dry firing at targets (spots or objects on the wall). This is where Terry Jordan's chart would come in handy. I've helped three shooters switch sides, two from right to left and one from left to right. I discovered, being right handed myself, I had to think "left handed" before I could help a right handed shooter switch sides. All three of the people I helped mentioned how important the visualizing and "home therapy" were in their success. Good Luck and be positive. I have no doubt you will be successful. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.