1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for good 1oz load for AA hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skishoot, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skishoot

skishoot TS Member

I was wanting some opinions for 1oz loads using AA hulls for a youth shooter using a berretta 303 from the 19 yard line. The hulls are the only constant in the load as I have to make a run to pick up components anyway. So please list grains and type of powder, wad brand and type, and primer brand and type, of your favorite load.

Any replies will be appreciated.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I too have been looking for a good 1oz load recipe. After doing alot of asking around and a great deal of research, I have decided to use clays powder with a winchester 209 primer and claybuster wads (the pink ones). From what I understand Clays makes for a good one once loads because it creates sufficient pressure for lighter load making it consistent and its clean burning to boot. As far as grainage, that will depend on how fast you want the load, as for me I like about 1180fps which should be about 17.2grs of clays. For a youth shooter you could try 16gr and it should be roughly 1125fps. Have to let us know what you end up trying and how you like it!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Check the on line Alliant reloading manual-- there are many good ones to select from. Clays is a good 1 oz powder, Clay Dot is basically Clays powder with a little improvement and lower cost.

Pat Ireland

4. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have been having a hard time finding clays recently. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I just picked up 8lbs for $106, I assuming this is a pretty decent price but I was just happy to get my hands on some.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

AA hull, 16.0, 16.5, or 17.0 grains claydot powder, downrange drxl1 wad. I use Rio primers, will work fine with AA and Rem primers...

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<UL><LI>AA hull<LI>1 oz. shot<LI>16.5-16.8 grn ClayDot powder<LI>DR-XL1 or DRA-12 wads<LI>Federal or Winchester 209 primers</UL>
    Any combination produces 1160-1180 FPS and a mild recoil. Only variable is the pressure and that stays under 10K. Claybuster wads are too long, Winchester wads too pricey.

This data can be found in either Hodgdon's or Alliant's data guide

Carol Lister

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Go to http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx and mash:
    12gauge
    Winchester AA

Pick out any 1,145fps load and look at the WAD and PRIMER pairs. Those WAD and PRIMER pairs will fit with any of the powders listed and produce good loads that have historically broken a zillion skeets.

My preference is Red Dot, but CD, GD, e3 ... even Bullseye will work just fine.

Primer and Wad availability may dictate what you get to load, and you'll be able to find a powder that will work.

Best,

Bob

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Winchester 209 or Fiocchi 616, Clays 16.0gr, Claybuster 1100-12, 1oz #8 in AA hulls. This is a super mild load, so I don't know if it'll cycle your 303, which maybe a plus unless you're shooting doubles. I use this load in a BT-99 Micro choked super full(Briley). Inkballs. For even greater fun and economy, I'll use 7/8oz #8 with Claybuster 0178-12. I encourage you to check the Hodgdon website for even more suggestions. Chichay

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

skishoot

I would strongly suggest that you do some reaserch and select a load with the components you can obtain. If you are intending the load to function the auto, then you are limited as far as how "light" you can go. If you don't mind working the action manually, then you could go lighter. Most one ounce loads around 1125 - 1180 fps may work the action. You'd have to actually try that out in your individual gun. That can be done once you have components and can load a few and try them out. In any event, don't load too many until you know how they work. I would go to www.alliantpowder.com, www.hodgdon.com, and www.accuratepowder.com to take a look at the various loads they list. Use the exact components listed and be sure to weigh the powder drops to be sure that is what you are getting. I would look for a load that produces somewhere between 8000 PSI and 9500 PSI with the exact components you are loading. I would not suggest making any substitutions unless you have or obtain data to support it, or have the facilities to do pressure testing yourself. Staying under 10,000 PSI allows you a little headroom for error and puts a little less strain on the gun.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

skishoot- I load 16.5 gr. of Promo with a pink AA wad and a Cheditte primer. Very soft shooting with good breaks from the 16 yd. line. Cycles my Browning Gold auto when I shoot sporting clays.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

16.7 red dot
    green duster
    win 209 primer

makes a nice load.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The 2009 Alliant Manual lists only TWO 1oz loads using ClayDot in A-A hulls, and NONE for 7/8oz! Methinks they need to get on the ball and test/publish a few more to keep up with Hodgdon in this area!

I have been testing 17.1 gr of C/D pushing 1 oz, and it seems to be a nice load @ 1200+ fps. My all-time favorite is still 16.5 gr of Nitro100 under WJ II wads in A-A hulls, or DR TGT12 wads in REM hulls pushing 1 oz of hard shot! Some of the very best breaks I've ever seen!

AndyH ;-)

13. skishoot

skishoot TS Member

I sure am glad to see so many replies keeping me busy looking these loads up in the Manuals
    Thanks for the advise

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Andy, You are right about Alliant needing to test and publish more loads. Look at the very limited # of 16ga loads as another example.

15. brownk80

brownk80 Member

16.5 grs. 700X, 1 oz. 8's, WJ, almost any primer. No recoil, hits hard, you can use it for 16's, Short HDCP, doubles and skeet with no changes.

Brownk80

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

skishoot

If you are making a trip to purchase components, be sure to print out a few alternative choices, since what you want, may not be available. Have a second and third choice. Calling ahead could give you an idea of what's available. It would be a bummer to buy a bunch of components, just to find out something won't fit your needs when you get home.

I'll also agree with the lack of data from Alliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.