1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for fitter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim In FL, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

I just got my first nice trap gun yesterday. I'd like to have a really good fitter work with me to get it fitted properly. I live in Central FL (think halfway between Orlando and Daytona (Sanford)). Any suggestions ? I don't think I'll be able to get away to go over the Silver Dollar soon - I know this week would probably be a good time with big tournament this week, but I just can't do it - that's 2 1/2+ hours one way. Looking for something closer.

Jim In FL

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Don't think you will find anything closer, Keith Heeg should be there at the Silver Dollar.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

Thanks Gary. I've actually been in contact with Keith. Was just trying to see if anyone might be closer.

Actually after thinking more, I'm getting the cart before the horse anyway. I'm going to go shoot the gun some and see how I do with it before I start adding/modifying things.

It feels ok as is when I mount it, and what I 'see' looks pretty good. But an acquaintance of mine had me hold his gun (he's built almost identical to me) and I couldn't believe how that gun came up to my face and into my shoulder - it just felt great and the picture I had down the barrel was just perfect - he has a Jones adjustable plate. So I was thinking I might as well go ahead with an adjustable butt plate of some kind (as his is) so I can begin to tune my gun to me.

Probably best that I back up, take a deep breath, shoot it some and see what I really need.

Jim In FL

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Jim,

It doesn't cost to see Keith except time and travel, but if you're only 2 1/2 hours away arrange to go see him after the Southern Grand - he's going to be real busy.

I've had Keith do the stock work on 3 guns and consider it essential and completely worth every penny.

Keith can tell you more in 10 minutes than most so listen closely and take notes. It is a rare opportunity for you to go see one of the best - a stockfitter that's also AA27AA.

There are a lot of great fitters on this site, but most are probably a few days away instead of hours and some charge a lot of money for a fitting session!

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

5. Jim In FL

Jim In FL Member

That sounds like a good plan TNCoach. You're right - the next couple of weeks over there would not be a good time to try and get any of his time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.