1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for first trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cowboy82ndway, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowboy82ndway

cowboy82ndway TS Member

Im looking to buy my first trap gun sometime next month. I want a gun for singles and caps. im looking to spend between $1000 & $1200 and wanted input as what would be the best gun for the money. I defiatly want a gun with choke tubes. I work at a trap & skeet range and have been using the clubs gun which is a 870 classic trap(not a bad gun but want somthing a little nicer). ill take all the input i can get thanks shane.

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Than you must be somewhat familiar with the name Browning BT-99.

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Can't beat a BT-99. It's what I shoot and it's served me very well. You can pay a whole lot more for a trap gun, but you can't get that much of a better gun! It is the industry standard at its finest.
    -Trappy

4. cowboy82ndway

cowboy82ndway TS Member

yeah ive been lookin at um and the seem really nice even though i havent had the pleasure of shooting one

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Now for a different BT-99 experience.

I have been without the use of my BT-99 since Jan. 18, 2009 when I sidelined it for having a 28 oz trigger pull; no where near having an answer on this as of March 6/09.

Time line;

Feb. 2007; acquired my new BT-99, had a 64 oz. trigger pull

Jan. 2009; developed a 28 oz trigger pull, (never even had it apart, never mind worked on)

Took the butt stock off, small spring which is not shown in the parts diagrams was found to be broken.

Jan. 22/09; mailed a polite letter to Browning Canada with a photo, basic question was "what is the spring, could it account for the reduced trigger pull weight?", letter had email address, office phone No. etc.

Feb 16/09, no reply, called Browning Canada, person I needed to talk to was not available, got his email, sent email at 09:30 that morning.

Feb 26/09; tired of no reply, phoned, got the following;

- they had the original mailed letter letter and were processing it, a communiction was mailed (I have not received it as of Feb. 27)

- Browning Canada's people are not aware of the different spring in the newer guns. - they cannot tell me if this spring breaking would account for the sudden reduction in trigger weight. They do not know about this part and it's function even though it has been on BT's starting at least in 2005. - they do not have any of these springs in stock in Canada, it will take 4 to 6 weeks for them to get here from the U.S. (I know the 4 to 6 weeks is driven by U.S. export red tape and not Browning's fault)

- they said they would fax something to my fax at work, that was Feb. 26, I have not received anything as of this aft. - they were fairly sympathetic and polite but there was a mention of "it must have been modified...etc." (Which it was not)

Summary;

This doesn't even address the lever going to center in less than 10,000 rounds; lock-up is still tight but it should not center that fast IMHO.

Allowing two weeks for the snail mail to get to them, so say they got it on Feb. 5, which is conservatively high;

Three weeks without a simple reply to even acknowlege they recived my letter (this could have been done in one line by email to the address I provided).

Even at the best estimate, they will not get the parts until the end of March.

From there I have no idea where this will go, if they send me the parts to put in, it will be here no sooner than mid April.

If they want me to send the gun to Montreal, that will be another story.

At the best, I expect to shoot the BT at the end of April, at the worst, perhaps mid-summer.

Before anyone suggests taking it to a shop, Browning's one authorized gunsmith in Ontario is not familiar with the spring, either, I have already phoned there.

I like the gun well enough but IMHO the back-up here is lacking and while I realize my inquiry isn't the only thing they have to deal with, I have had to wait a relatively long time, coax a reply from them and still don't have the answer to my initial question.

I suspect the spring is;

B1793246 TRIGGER RETURN SPRING ('06)

from;

http://media.browning.com/pdf/parts/2008_browning_parts_pricelist.pdf

But in the absense of any tangible info, that is unconfirmed.

This is reason enough for me to advise people that while many of the Browning shotguns are nice and are trouble-free, as someone who shoots trap every week, I would not have one as my only trap gun. Perhaps the gun is better supported in the U.S. but in my "reality", the support is not here and that makes it tough for me to have a lot of confidence.

Since this gun was a service award, a "gift", I decided to try one since they let me choose what I wanted.

I remember saying to my wife (who used to shoot trap), when I made that choice; "this should be a nice gun, but based on experiences of years ago, if I have a problem with it and need service, it could be down a while, that's why I never spent my own money on one".

Since I had a choice for that award, I should have chosen an 870 Classic Trap, or an 1100 Sporting 12 to play with on "the other games".

6. cowboy82ndway

cowboy82ndway TS Member

thanks rem

7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

Please consider the new SKB GC7 Top Single. It has all the features you would be looking for including Higher Rib, adjustable comb with good hardware unlike Browning, Excellent recoil pad unlike Browning, 3 extended Briley competition chokes tubes, unlike Browning. The best bang for your buck. $1300.00 contact Dan Goodsell at Guns Unlimited 1-402-339-0771

Good Luck and Good Shooting
    Mark Richards

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Rem I'm sorry to hear of your woes. I've been shooting a BT-99 and a Citori O/U Trap for many years without any problems. I feel your frustration being without it, I don't like it when a firearm of mine is out either. Hope your repair is correct and no physical marks come back with your gun. Try to be patient I guess.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to obtain a replacement spring at your local hardware store and replace the spring in the gun? HMB

10. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Rem I'm sorry to hear of your woes. I've been shooting a BT-99 and a Citori O/U Trap for many years without any problems. I feel your frustration being without it, I don't like it when a firearm of mine is out either. Hope your repair is correct and no physical marks come back with your gun. Try to be patient I guess."

Yeah, having I have been shooting trap long enough that I saw the introduction of both the BT-99 and the Citori.

There are a lot of these that have year and thousands of trouble-free use.

I have seen some of every make/model of shotgun have problems, that is not my complaint. My complaint is, at least in this country, they have an office and small facility here but my experience from 1980-on is that if you have a problem, you feel like you are on your own. Even if they are approached politely, in a non-confrontational manner, it will come up in the discussion that "it must have been modified" or it is your fault.

The newer BT-99 has had a slightly diffent trigger system than those of previous decades. It has been out for some years but at the office here, they don't even know anything about it and do not have spares.

I am a guilty as other about dumping on the lower cost and/and or more obscure makes "because you can't get parts and service for them", I have been thinking lately, how is this much different?

I have resigned myself to be patient since I have exhausted all options except getting a part shipped from Browning USA to a U.S. address and getting it myself, I know the gun will be "down" for some time. It is more the priciple of the thing, than being without the gun; as my "handle" indicates, I have had a long history with the products of Ilion. I like my BT-99 but I have a couple trap grade 870's and a newer 1100 Classic Trap; while these are no longer "fashionable", they suit me very well and I shoot them as well of slightly better than the BT anyway.

What surprises me is that in this day of people suing companies, that they are not more interested in addressing this issue. They have a newer design that, apparently, if a very tiny spring fails, the trigger weight goes in my case, from 4 pounds to 1 1/2. I know that is well below their minimum spec. for a BT trigger. In my case, I am not the suing type and there was no harm done; it just would have been nice to get a bit more interest and attention from their service rep.

"Would it be possible to obtain a replacement spring at your local hardware store and replace the spring in the gun? HMB"

Thanks, but not feasible. This is not a simple coil spring. If you have ever seen one of the new "Trigger Return Springs", the pre-2006 spring is a flimsy looking round wire spring, shaped exactly to fit into it's space. that functions like a leaf spring. I understand that from 2006-on, they have been made as a leaf spring which IMHO, having seen the spring in the gun, is likely more durable.

The spring needs to be an exact shape and strength or the trigger weight will be adversely effected.

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

beretta 391 parallel target sl(standard length) or rl (reduced) 30 " barrel- hard to beat for the money - around $1100 very low recoil-poi= 60/40

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.