1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

+ + + Looking for feedback on CVR wireless + + +

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by locdoc, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locdoc

locdoc Member

There has been some discussion at my club recently about the possibility of getting a wireless Canterbury for one or both of the trap fields. Currently both fields have the wired CVR's. I'm just looking for some comments both pro and con about the wireless system. Info might be helpful in a presentation to the Board of Directors or a group of generous members. Thanks.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The only thing wrong with the wireless system is BATTERIES.

You will use labor resources recharging and checking them. There have been issues with RFI (radio frequency interference) setting off the machines.

A big multi day shoot may cause you to regret changing over. Pierce, who sometimes posts here, has good speaker wires and speakers. This tends to make a good product better.

3. shootalot

shootalot TS Member

We have 2 Canterbury wireless in use for 2 years. Very dependable, we have no problems or complaints. Will be getting 2 more in 2009.

You might contact Gary at Rocky Mountain Clay Sports, he was great in answering all our questions before and after our purchase.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's a two edged sword. the wired units are a pain, cables, connectors, etc.

I feel the wireless are superior if you manage the battery issue and have them working correctly.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

HM

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Thank you and keep 'em coming.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Doug,

I am one that is not impressed with them. We have two sets and they are both slower than the wired units. One is so bad that I refuse to shoot off it anymore. It would be like a slow puller every time. The battery thing is not that bad but compared to Erad.....it's horrible

JMHO

Rickyd

7. hitpair

hitpair TS Member

Our 6 wireless throw extremely consistant targets, battery life is excellent. Maintinence is minimal compared to the 4 cabled units have, we now only use the cabled systems for larger shoots. JD

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

We have two sets and they work just fine, No complaints from the shooters. They are much guicker to setup than the wired ones. I would recomend them. The only drawback I can see is parts swapping in case of a failure. The transmitters or reciever would have to be reset to work with another set. Not a real hard job, But a pain none the less.

Jim

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Have two sets (one each at different clubs) and they are wonderful. The battery issue is not a big deal. I made larger base plates for the speaker stands to prevent tip over in the wind and installed handels so folks would not touch the speakers while moving them. I personally do not see any timming difference. We somtimes shoot wired on one field and wireless on the next (I'm too lazy to set up two wire sets) and see no difference in the two. Have not had any complaints from our shooters either. IMHO they are good stuff! Jake

10. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Go with ERAD.
    BR1

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

locdoc let me check with the guy at NLRG and see what the scoop is there. I believe that they tried them out,not sure when but they didn't buy them. I will ask tomorrow see what I get for answers.

Bob Lawless

12. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Shooters,

Even though I sell them I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. The first CVR wireless sets had some programming issues, we replaced them or put in new guts and the issues since have been minor. 90% of the problems recently has been faulty installation. (Read: Not reading the directions...) Now there are about 400 sets out there and we get very few repair calls and mostly orders for more sets. If you are experiencing any issues (slow, fast, missed calls) give me a call on our toll free line (800-684-6329)or email me at the above address and we'll sort it out. Battery life should be between 2 and 4 months per set. We reccomend Eveready Alkaline Energizers (Sams Club 48pack $16.95) they really do last a lot longer.

Hope this helps,

Bob Schultz

13. ric3677

Bob,

We have two sets......the one works ok the other is slow...
    We set them up exactly the same.......I did the set up...I read the instructions, and one is slower than the other ....by that I mean everyone that shoots off them can tell the difference. Talking to the guy that made them doesn't do it for me. He wants us to do the trouble shooting. What the what?

So...I have my thoughts on them..you have yours. But I am stuck with a set that doesn't work. And at 1995.00 that's not good

shoot well and have fun.....Rickyd

14. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rickyd,

Are they on the same brand of trap? Pats are slower than some others. We will check them out for you at no cost. Send them to me and if they are not right I'll replace them with a new set.

Can you beat that deal?

Bob Schultz

15. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

We have 4 sets of the wireless sold to us from Bryan Pierce. He gives us excellant service. We could not be happier with them. I think this will be our second winter league and we have had them for 2 summers with no problems. As stated above, set up is critical. We use Rayovac alkaline batteries and they last about 3 months. The secret to interference is keeping the channels set further apart. We set ours on channels 11,22,33,and 44. The other thing to check is the gain on the mics, it is important to get them consistent from station to station. I would highly recommend the Canterbury Wireless. You can call Bryan Pierce at 608-617-6631.

Dan McDermott
    Beaver Dam Conservationists
    608-358-5130

16. ric3677

Bob,

They are both hooked up to Pat Traps. Both the same identical way. I can try a few more things such as switching units and see if that works. I just hate buying something and then spending time to figure out why it doesn't work as it should.

I would take you up on your offer, but you are a long way from Mt. and the shipping wouldn't be cheap. I can hear the BOD's already. LOL

Thanks for your time.

Rick

17. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I'd like to chime in here. First we have 4 sets that are four years old and couldn't be happier with them. One thing I recommend is the turbo mic's it'll save you a lot of grief with the wind and cross-calls. Battery selection is also a consideration, we use Duracell and Interstate Alkalines and get excellent longevity from them. Some sets aren't used as much as the ones for practice and naturally they run down first after about 4 months. No problems on 4 Pat Traps and some people can get a slow pull just by the way they call for targets, for some unknown reason they can't seem to just find the word pull in a normal tone of voice in their vocabulary. Before that we had the wired sets and still have one for back-up, believe me you can get to be an expert at soldering with the wired ones. We dealt with Bob Schultz on both the wired and wireless and he is excellent to work with, all problems (the few that we had) he was spot on with answers. Having said that I'm more than certain that there are other dealers who would do the same but when we got our first Canterbury's he was the supplier recommended. We were the first in the State of Nebraska to go to voice releases and I'm fairly certain all the other clubs now have them. If I can answer any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.