1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOOKING FOR Cowboy Action Guns , Need it all.

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by jdlovejoy4, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Looking to get started and need the whole rig. Open to what ever you've got. Looking right now and seeing how much some of the guns are going to be. Please if you have something you'd like to sell send me a price and some pics to my email and we'll go from there. Also any tips or suggestions on guns would be a ton of help. Thanks cell works good too, 330-705-8757 Josh

2. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I know a Pawn shop in Tallahassee that has 3 1897 winchester pumps, all are in pretty good shape, nice brown patina, look to be very shootable, if you want I will PM you the info, I have no intrest in the deal just know they are there.
    As I recall prices run in the 600's

Rick

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Josh, I have everything ya need in the gun department. I try to call ya in the morning. I'm in Texas.

GneJ

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Josh, I quit shooting SASS several years ago when I went back to shooting registred trap. I have several things that you might be interested in. I have two Galco Texas Ranger holsters that fit 4 3/4 bbls. both strong and weak side. Both are like new. these sell for about 120 dollars each. I'll take 160 for both. Check the Galco website for prices. Also have 18 inch mule-ear Olathe boots worn three times in size 9 1/2. Tan.

As far as guns go. I shot Ruger Vaqueros (stainless), original Colts, and Ubertti's (Taylors and Cimarrons) for dependability, shoot the Rugers. I shot a Marlin Cowboy in 45L.C. and a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70 for side matches. The only gun that I would probably consider selling now, would be the Mod. 97 Winchester that I shot. I have both the original long bbl. and a short bbl. that I bought and put on the gun.It is a good solid gun and functions well. There are probably some other things lying around if I stop and think about it.

Jump right in and go for it. Bunch of nice people to shoot with and be around.

ex-SASS member
    badge 14390
    Steve

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hey Pard...it just don't get no better than this...Vaquero .44-40 with two extra sets of grips and a full fresh box of DUKE ammo that I have never had the heart to use...

smoknjoe_2009_251057.jpg

smoknjoe_2009_251019.jpg

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

1973 first year issue...Single Six .22/.22MAG cyclinders...like new with original box, two extra sets of grips and custom leather right hand holster...
    Dang, aint shot this one neither.

smoknjoe_2009_251094.jpg

smoknjoe_2009_251095.jpg

7. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks guys for all the input, I tried it last weekend and fell in love with it. I'll be contacting a few of you here shortly. I also wanted to say thanks to some of the others that sent me some email direct. Gun wise I'm pretty open right now in the pistol and rifle area, but shotgun wise I'm set on having a 12 gauge. I would prefer the 97 , but also consider a SXS. Any opinion on handgun caliber? I heard 38 is less recoil and gives a slight advantage due to less recoil, but the 45LC is more "Common/Norm" ?

CONTACT INFO. jdlovejoy4@yahoo.com
    cell 330-705-8757 Thanks Josh

8. obfd13

obfd13 Member

0   0   0

How about a Ruger Vaguero, .45LC, stainless, 5 1/2", simulated ivory grips, with plastic case and manual?

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Vaquero in 45 LC is my choice. It is a blast but exensive

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Josh,

You need to ask yourself what level of competition you want to get to before selecting your gear. If you intend to be one of the top shooters some day then you will want to start with the .38 cal revolver and rifle and a 97 12 guage shotgun. The revolvers should be SAA clones or the mid size Vaquero. Your rifle should be a slicked up 1873 clone with a short stroke kit.

On the other hand if you want to just have fun and be a bit authentic then you will want the bigger caliber revolvers, .44 special, .44-40 or .45 Colt are all great fun. The Full size Vaquero or the Colt clones work good for this. Your rifle should be in the same caliber as your six guns, again the 1873 clone or a model 92 clone are good choices as are the 1894 Marlins. If you intend to shoot black powder cartridges the Marlin and the 92 are more forgiving than the 1873s. A side by side shotgun is also a lot of fun for the less intense competitor but they take a lot more skill to operate as quickly as what you can do with a 97. On the shotgun do yourself a favor and stick with the 12 guage. It is much easier to feed and use than the other guages.

Have a blast.

11. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks Again guys, I really love this site for reasons like this thread, trapshooters are such a great group of people willing to help each other out and share tips and opinions about all kinds of stuff.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

Stay with .38 spl. It not only is faster but a lot less expensive to shoot.

For bullets shoot 125 grains.

For the shotgun, use 7/8 oz loads and reload them as Featherlights are too expensive. Use only STS or AA hulls if you decide to go with a SxS. A MEC JR is OK to start with as you do not shoot a lot of shotgun.

It is fun but boring. What got to me was shooting a stage in under 30 seconds and having to wait an hour to shoot the next stage. If you like trigger time, it is not the best game. If you like to horse around and have fun it is a great way to play.

Don Verna

13. 19539trap

19539trap Member

0   0   0

I have 2 1897 12 GA. One short barrel and one longer. I have 2 holsters, 1 Triple K and i have Uberti Smoke wagons in 38 spl and a marlin stainless shot about 20 rounds.Uberti,s are consecutive # and used very little. I also have 44marlin,45-70. I went to trap. Jim

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a like new SASS Set of the Ruger Vaqueros in 357. Have been thinking of selling them on GB.com but would rather take less to a fellow shooter here and avoid al the hassel.

These are stainless steel in 357/38. Excellent condition with fairly low sereal numbers and are consectuive.

Will pack and pay all the shipping and insurance to your dealer for a total of 1075.00 -- providing he gets packages from US Mail and he is not anywhere there is a surcharge because of address.

Bryan

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

That's a real good deal on those SAS Vaqueros deercreek has. I would stay with the 38\357 if just for cheaper shooting if nothing else. I had a Marlin Cowboy Limited when I shot it, really really wish I'd kept that one, they are scarce now and about twice what I paid for that one.

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Silverbulletexpress, I did keep my Marlin Cowboy Limited after I quit the sport.They do make a good brush gun for deer. Have shot several with mine. You are right about the prices. Hadn't realized they had increased that much.

Bryan, what are the bbl. lengths of your Vaqueros?

Steve

17. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks Again guys getting some pics of the nice guns you've sent me . Great response time guys.

18. hardrite

hardrite Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Yahooooooooooo
    [​IMG]

19. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

0   0   0

AAtrap

If the orginal poster Josh is not interested in the holsters
    please PM me.