1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for Bunker tips

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Will be shooting Bunker for the first time this weekend.

Looking for some tips so I don't make a complete ass out of myself.

I plan on shooting my K80 Trap gun and use regular Trap loads.

Will I be pissing in the wind?

I don't even know the rules. One shot or two at a target as I am hearing both.

2. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Check out www.shootingbunker.com. Site gives a very good rundown on what to expect and how to shoot bunker.

- - Bill

3. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

One recommendation is don't try to do anything differently than you normally do; just remember that visual setup is key in bunker. A soft, diffused focus that extends from the area of the bunker in front of the station on your left to the area in front of the station on your right. Keep the forward lip of the bunker in your bottom peripheral vision. Hope this helps. -JFW

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Regular trap loads?

Better make them fast handicap loads at a minimum. 1125 fps won't get it done. you'll break some but it will be frustrating. buy one case of fast sporting clays loads or fast 1oz loads and you will be better off.

enjoy.

it's a demanding game.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you can, flatten out the POI of your gun to around 60/40. Use tight chokes, fast one ouncers for your first round, and have the fuse lit when you call for the bird! Watch range safety, and walk behind the Ref when going from station 5 to the dead station.

I generally use the foot position for station 3 on the ATA field on a regulation Bunker field. On an ABT field, regular ATA foot position. Lots of gun movement, see the bird before you attack it. You should see the leads on hard rights and lefts. Stopping the gun is not good. Stay in the gun for the second shot, if needed.

This will help your ATA game. STAY IN THE GUN. SEE THE BIRD. KILL THE BIRD!

Your Krieghoff might be a little portly for Bunker. Good upper body strength is cardinal in this sport. Don't stab at the target, use ATTACK MODE!

You might watch a round first. Different routine, lots of fun. Do NOT be intimidated. If you miss a bird, no one will cut you into little pieces and eat you!!! LOL

This IS the King of Clay Target Sports.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

When finished shooting at station five turn to your RIGHT to head to the back of the line for the walk to station one.

If in competition a turn to the left (as most trap shooters would do to move from five to one) will get you D/Q'ed.

It is OK to move between stations with an open gun with shells in the chambers (NOT from 5 to 1) - a little scary at first, but once you understand the game it is OK...

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Go to the links page on our website. There are a number of links that you might find useful. Bunker is a great game.

Tom

8. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Do not close or mount your gun until the previous shooter has fired.

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I shot International (Bunker) for the first time this past weekend. Prepare to be humbled.

A lot of good tips have been mentioned. I wouldn't presume to know enough to add anything. But I will tell you this, once you shoot a serious round of Bunker, you will not look at ATA shooting the same way again...ever.

Bunker is definitely the King of the clay games.

I loved it.

Jef

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.