1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for best one ounce wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi, I have been working on a one ounce load for 16yd targets but my crimps are dished in. I am using 17 grains of Clays with one ounce of 8s, my best crimps are with old AA cases and Waa12sl wads, I would like to use STS cases but this recipe yields a dished crimp. I have tried Tgt12, waa12sl and purple windjammers. If anyone has a suggestion let please let me know. Thank you.

2. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Greendusters

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I use Rem hulls with 17.5 Claydot and a DownRange XL-1 wad. I get perfect crimps with this combo. Be sure you are using almost no wad pressure, the indicator should just bump slightly.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Downrange XL-1 (yellow)...fits perfectly with nice crimps in STS...adjust the depth you seat the wad (needs no pressure) and your crimp station. Your load is the same as what I use. Great load. Regards, Ed

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What kind of press do you use?

You may consider switching from the 8-point starter to a smooth cone starter made for paper hulls. Both MEC and P-W sell them.

The smooth cone will also largely eliminate the hole in the center of the crimp evident in the STS photo below.

Adjust the wad ram so the ends of the petals don't go below where the shoulder of the crimp will be; my petals are 3/8" in from the mouth of the hull. The shot is higher than that... maybe 5/16" down. Let the crimp and the shot push the wad to where it needs to be.

MK

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lower the crimp starter (precrimp station) 1 turn at a time until the problem goes away. HMB

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use 17.8 grs. of red dot with a TGT-12 wad, with a perfect crimp every time.
    stlflyn_2010_0704102.jpg

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

sounds more like you need adjustments on your loader

STS hull TGT12s wads 17.5 grains clays 1oz of shot soft recoil and breaks clays.

I load on a mec 9000 and a 650 I have the wad seater indicator just wiggles a bit when seating the wad.

I use adjuatable bar on all my mecs and get a heavier 1oz drop than the fixed bars which seem to allways throw a light chager, both powder and shot ??

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Agree with what the others have posted about adjustments needed.

But since you asked, I like the Downrange XL-1 neon green wad for 1 ounce loads, with about 17 grains of Hodgdon Clays.

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I'm using a Mec 600jr with just enough wad pressure to just move the indicator. Thanks.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hi Tim, I certainly agree on your load and the wad, but my color "blindness" (ignorance?) caused me to call the neon green as yellow in my earlier post. Hope things are well on the "dark continent"...enjoy your posts re: shells and shooting there. Best Regards, Ed

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I like the green duster and find it to be just a little higher than the Winchester original WAA12SL. It works well with 17.3 gr. Promo with one oz. shot in the STS hull for me.

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Citori,

I use Windjammer and Spolar 1 oz wads over 19 grains of

International Clays. Perfect crimps on both my Spolar and

PW press. I've also used 17.5 grains of Clays with perfect

results on both presses. The Spolar wad is made by Downrange

and is a replica of the AA 1 oz wad.

Mike C.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The "Best". LOL We need a permanent thread that lists all the "Bests" we have discussed here. Best gun, best shot, best load, best grease, best wad etc. etc. etc.

15. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I am in agreement with the Downrange XL-1.

Works great in Nitro's, STS, AA & Gun Clubs with 17 gr of clays.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

That's my favorite load and it fits perfect in a Win. hull or a STS hull (I use a Claybuster clone wad of the Waa12sl. I suggest you check your shot drops and make sure your getting a full 437.5 grains of shot!!! Then I would adjust your pre-crimp and final crimp so that you do not dish the shell on the final crimp. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. plaw

plaw Active Member

can't beat the original windjammers...

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

next step is check your shot drop as stated
    recheck your star pre crimp and then your final crimp....so very little adjustment can make a huge difference. I needed to lower the(for lack of the proper name) crimp pusher to get the right crimp and then readjust the crimp cam to get a nice tight crimp.

maybe some pics of your crimps may help

19. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thank you for all the responses. I have been shooting and reloading for a little over 20 years. I used to always use 1 1/8 oz loads but the older I get the less I like recoil and now I'm working on this one ounce load. The Mec crimp dies are still at the factory settings but I am going to look at adjusting them as you suggested. I was thinking a longer based wad would fill the case better with the lighter load and was trying to short cut here so I don't have to buy all kinds of wads. Thank you.

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Downrange XL-1 neon greens. I use a MEC loader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 1 ounce wad

best one ounce wads