1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for an engraver to replace gold

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dougbbbb, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looking for someone that can replace a piece of gold that fell out of the broken clay on a barrel hanger. It's the bottom half of the clay bird.

Doug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Doug use jb weld if you have it done by an engraver he will peen the metal and re blue not cost effective.

Joe

I've done it before and an old engraver friend told me this trick.

3. Dougbbbb

Well , I would if I had the piece that fell out.

Doug

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I could do it if you buy the gold. at $1400 per oz I would guess you will need about 5gm and will end up with half of it back as waist. I would guess about $250 for the gold bar and around $200 labor I'll call a friend of mine @ jewlers row in Philadelphia and see if there is a jewler-engraver that can get it done for less. I don't like to engrave but I can given time and few interruptions.
    Joe

5. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Less than a gram Joe. Man can buy sheet gold from the above supplier in square inch increments. 14K Yellow 30 ga is ~$65 for just over 1/20th Oz. and that repair will take a lot less than the full sq inch. The problem will be color matching the new Gold to the old Gold. It looks like the old segments were Silver brazed to the hanger ( second picture ) and that can be handled by a competent Jewelry repair place. Price for the service might total a couple of hundred but ...

Don T

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

There is a jewler in Milltown who use to be a member of Mallard who may be able to do this for you ? John L knows him very good and I`ll get his number for you .

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Oh how we miss Bill Maines!

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Doug:

Are those pins sticking up I am looking at that held the gold in place?

Bob

9. Dougbbbb

Bob

Yes, they appear to be little bards that probably were intended to hold the gold in place.

Doug

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Lisa Tomlin

http://www.tomlinengraving.com/

11. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

You might try contacting Pauline Muerrle. Google her name and give her a call. She is a good person.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Best to look for a gun engraver like WS1 suggests.

Lots of difference engraving jewelry vs. steel.

The passing of Bill Maines left a large void.

Regards.....Gerald

13. Model12Girl

Model12Girl TS Member

This pieces needs to be cut. The teeth where the gold inlay was needs to under cut from many directions. I suggest using a square gold wire and fitting it into the area. Please let me know if you need help with this item. I just replaced several gold inlays on an 1100 and can email you pictures. In order to really get the gold to stick it will have to be heavily hammered in and usually the piece would have to be reblued. www.engravingbynoelle.com Noelle Feucht

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The gold inlay is held in place in 2 ways; 1) the barbs you mentioned are used in and around the areas where the inlay is to go to help secure the inlay, and 2) the the metal on the outer edge of the inlay is undercut. The gold is pounded into the inlay area and it flows under the undercut and is grabbed by the barbs. The surface of the inlay (gold) is then engraved. I have watched Walter Koulach do it. He made it look easy.

15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Member

Paula Biesen Malicki 509 954 0763

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Yes It was a very sad day when I heard of Bills passing. I had spent many hours watching him engrave and possibly as many during cocktail hour with him and Gary Stephens.
    Joe