1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advise on a great Trap Single (rev.)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daptrap, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daptrap

daptrap Member

I am looking for advise and input from all of the experts out there as to what you would consider "The perfect combo" trap gun for S-HC & DD.

I have narrowed it down to either a Perrazi-Kreighoff and mayyybbeee Kolar. I am not a large guy(5'7")and have a medium build, if that makes a difference.

At the end of the day I would like to purchase a gun that I could grow with. Budget is not really an issue. Just want to get the best possible gun for a very reasonable price that has the ability to hold its value above the others.

Also, I did not attend the Grand so where else would be the best place to have the opportunity to try ALL guns. Let it rip fella's. I would appreciate your experience and input.

Thank You
    Don P.

2. Biggray

Biggray TS Member

Went to Grand this week, and shot several of the "nice" guns. The one that felt the best and shot the best for me was the Blaser super trap combo. The people at Blaser are great. They set the gun up for me and I went out and broke my second ever 25 straight. I hear there customer service is outstanding and with a 10 year warranty who can beat that. Thats my 2 cents.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

There is a thread on here with a gentleman trying to sell a Beretta DT10 Combo at a very reasonable price. You will not go wrong with the DT 10. You can spend more, but you can not buy a more reliable gun. Leo III, will probably shoot his into the $100,000.00 prize ring at the grand. Just my humble opinion...oh yeah, I own two of them. Like yourself, I could have bought any gun and I paid a lot more for my first combo, but I would not trade it.

JON

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree with chiefjon. That gun is a great deal if you are looking for a combo. The DT-10 combo is one hell of a gun and for that price ,($5650) you really can't loose. I guess this is what happens when the economy is in the crapper. Jon

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Look at a Blaser Super Trap Combo. German quality and all the bells and whistles.

6. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

About 6 years ago I was in your same position. Went to the Grand and looked around. Decided on the Perazzi MX10 combo. Why? Because it's the one that fit the best. I loved the K-80's but did not buy one simply because it did not fit me correctly.

I've had a chance to pick up a few Ceaser's and the new Blasers. Both are fine guns. I would still like to see how both of these guns hold up 5 - 10 years into the market.

My 2 cents.

Matt Ski

7. daptrap

daptrap Member

Great opinions so far,thank you!
    Any other upcoming shoots besides The Grand that all of the manufacturers attend?

Don P

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar. Maybe Blaser, CG (not time tested yet).

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

CG is working out great for me so far.

After about 15K, still very tight. no breaks.

Fits great for me. Also like the MX2000RS.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You need a Perazzi MX-3 Combo which was the gun of choice for Dan Bonillas some years ago ... I happen to know where there is a nice one for sale ... It wil last you for many years with very litte up keep ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

:: heresy warning ::

Unless you are 5'10" & 175, and wear a 34x16½ shirt, at the K/P level you're looking at, the wood matters more than the iron. Keep a spare $3k in reserve to do the wood. If you're going to do it right, once - do it right, once.

All of the big shoots have all of the guns. Shoot a practice round with both barrels. That will tell you what you DON'T want, more than what you do want.

Be conscious of the weight, too ... heavy is heavy. If it 'feels heavy' - it is, and at the end of the day it is a LOT heavier.

'Pointability' matters. And it matters more than most other factors.

The rest of the minutiae people can obsess over: complex German engineering v. Italian elegance v. USA-USA-USA and replacing springs or not ... sheesh ... UGH.

<i>mi dos pesos</i>

Bob

12. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I shoot a Kolar and wouldn't trade for anything else...That being said, I would suggest that you purchase the best you can afford...All the major mfgrs build a good gun, so personal preference is yours. My main thing about Kolar is that it is built right here in USA. Jeff @ Kolar will bend over backwards to make sure that you are satisfied. Odie

13. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Don,

Cardinal Center is next week. I'm sure there will be many gun vendors there.

Matt Ski

14. daptrap

daptrap Member

I do plan to attend the The Eastern Grand in NY next month. First time attending. Is there usually a good representation of gun manufacturers there?

Thanks,
    Don P.

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Don, go to your local club(s) and talk to owners about their guns. Most will offer to let you shoot it for a round or two. It is a better approach than trying at a shoot and buying it there.

I have never done so, but about a dozen at my club have. They went to a shoot, shot a couple rounds at the practice trap, broke them all and decided they had to have this wonderfully shooting gun. They bought them, brought them home, and never shot as well as they did with their old gun. I think it must have something to do with the excitement of a big shoot.

When I decided to upgrade from my Beretta Gold E combo, I shot many, many different guns. I was fortunate in that almost every gun made is represented at my club. I even shot different models of the same make. I'm not knocking other makes, but I decided Perazzis felt better and moved better in my hands. I still feel that way, and yes, I still try new guns. The new Blazer, for instance, feels more like a log to me than a Krieghoff does.

I currently use an MX-2000RS 35/34 combo that is just about perfect. If this gun disappeared and I had to start over again, I think I'd start with an O/U set up for International Trap. It would have good choke tubes and a selectable trigger. A gun in that configuration would be great for ATA trap, bunker and Sporting.

16. daptrap

daptrap Member

Thank You for the insight. You make a lot of sense with "the excitement of a big shoot". I do think that I will take the club approach. Relaxed atmosphere etc....
    I have recently shot a "P" gun at the club and it just felt like it was made for me. The hunt continues!
    Don P.

17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

zzt;

I am curious as to why, if your current trap gun disappeared, you would buy a bunker gun? I have shot bunker before, and I love the game and the guns, but I would think they would place you at a real disadvantage at ATA, especially handicap ATA shooting.

The reason I say this is because of the relatively flat shooting setup that most bunker guns use (60/40 or 50/50). With so many trapshooters opting for 100%+ trap setups, I find your choice interesting.

I will grant you that a bunker trap gun will work very well for Sporting Clays, and pretty well for Skeet, but ATA trap...?

Just curious.

bluedsteel

18. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

bluedsteel, an adjustable comb can make a 60/40 gun shoot 80/20, or whatever you want. I'm not the slightest bit hung up on bead alignment, or figure-8.

Also, there is no rule that says you cannot hit handicap targets with a flat shooting gun. On several occasions I've watched new to trap but experienced Sporting shooters break 24 or 25 on his first ever trap round.

I must admit, that I require a higher POI for handicap than singles. So if I couldn't learn, I could always raise the comb.

19. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Since money is no issue, get the most expensive regardless of fit, and don't change anything on it, because it will lose value and shoot tightest barrel you can find with heaviest loads then next year post it for sale at 50% of cost on this site. Bruce

20. daptrap

daptrap Member

Bruce,
    Thanks for your 2 cents. Amusing!!!

To the rest of you, Thank You for taking a moment.

Don P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.