1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice. Weight loss & gun adjustments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Thinking of shooting again. Since the loss of my wife last year I'm down 50
    pounds. I was having trouble anyway because of weight loss last year.
    The last 100 straight I shot was in June at the state shoot in singles. HCP
    was dropping then. Same gun, need some good advice.
    I know my head is still messed up but need to start somewhere.

I'm guilty, don't know where it shot before!

Thx guys, Bill

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bill. What gun and set-up do you have now?

3. magic

magic Member

Bill,

Having shed 296 lbs in the last two years....I can say its tough. Still working through the hiccups. But it's getting better. Just get your gun setup for the new you and shoot! Your body will know what to do. Just don't get frustrated....

Jason Sheehy

99-11142

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

CONGRATS Jason, what is your secret?, Bill, go to pattern board and work at getting the fit and POI back. Then just grind em. Welcome back and wood on wood! Jake

5. Bill Roberts

Jack, I shoot a Bt 100. With a gracoil (adjustable recoil reducer) and a fully adjustable comb.
    I've shot it for 4 years. It shot where I looked, shot several 100 straights in singles (3) and (1) 100 straight in HCP. Didn't pattern. I shot last month a couple of times and
    was lucky to break a 16. Still seeing the same picture but the bird keeps going.
    Note: I have never stacked the beads.

Thx Bill

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I lost over 35 lbs and expected my gun to shoot lower (face lower on comb)--wrong --it shot considerable higher..Go figure....

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bill, go back to the basics and start at 13 yards. Draw a large cross in the middle of the paper. Shoot the gun off a rest like a rifle and see if it is line horizontally. Adjust it so it is. Now adjust the gun around 2 inches high.

Now go to the trap and lock it in on straight aways and start tweaking the gun until you are smoking the target at whatever yardage you want to shoot from.

This will give you a starting point and you may still have to tweak the gun to your shooting style, but it will get you close.

Good luck,
    Ajax

8. Bill Roberts

Ajax, two inches high at the 13 yd line equals what at the 16 yd line.
    Thx Bill

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Being a wide body myself, I've had numerous occasions to lose weight. As I lost weight I found I had to move the comb toward my face, and as I regained the weight, I moved it away from my face. Keep in mind that the movement was not great, but it was necessary. I don't "figure eight" the beads either. Good Luck and Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Ive lost 280lbs now and had to adjust all my guns to bring the combs closer towards my cheek since my face got thinner...my LOP requirement is also now over 3/8th" longer since my chest and shoulders are also less padded...Hang in there Bill..like was said,..don't worry about what worked before..start anew from neutral center settings and tweak in small increments

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Two inches at the 13 will give you about 4" at the distance a shooter normally breaks the target. This is only to get you close to what is the right POI for you.

Ajax

12. Bill Roberts

Thx to all who have responded so far!

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I dropped weight (45 lbs) 11 years ago, my guns shot higher.

This spring I lost another 20 to get ready for bike riding this summer, no POI change. I did note a longer LOP, from 14 1/4" to 14 1/2". In old age, 12% BF really takes off the padding. I don't tolerate cold weather well now.

The new stock I bought for my Luxus is 14 1/2", thank heavens.

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Coach--Any theories on why your guns shot higher when you lost weight?

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Bill, I've lost 85lb in a year and have had to deal with the same issues, to one degree or the other, as you and the others. I went to Keith Heeg to get on the correct path then slowly worked out the kinks. It's very helpful to get someone read your targets for maximum smoke. The big surprise was that I went the opposite direction from MiShot, and was shooting to the left, which I believe was caused by change in LOP, then shifted the comb to the right and added 2 spacers and lowered the front of the rib one full mark on the guide. (Kolar). I looked at Kiner's CD again, which is helpful. Also, be mindful that clothing can contribute to LOP changes, and can make more difference than you'd expect.

all the best.....mike

16. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I had gastric bypass about 2 years ago and have lost 160 lbs. As previously stated, don't get frustrated (Easier said then done). You are going to have to back up and start almost from scratch.
    Think of it this way: If you buy a new gun what do you go through? Get the gun fit right to you and then practice to fine tune. The only difference in your case is, you are new, not the gun. You should have someone check your gun fit, and go from there.
    After loosing my weight my gun was kicking the snot out of me. Kicking to the point that I added a foam pad to my adjustable comb and added weight to the gun. Tried moving the comb up a little to force myself to cheek the gun a little more firmly. After a while of practice and tweeking, I am better then before the weight loss.
    Keep with it, it will come.

17. Bill Roberts

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Smokit

Not a clue, sounds backwards. Increased LOP makes sense, higher POI does not.
    Same stock weld, same everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.