1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Advice on Single Trap Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tangler, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

Just got hooked on shooting trap.
    I am using a Beretta SP II, Sporting in 12-28.
    Everybody else seems to have longer and trap specific guns
    Looking at single barrel trap guns.
    Do not want an auto or pump.
    Any feedback on the following:
    Browning BT99
    Older Beretta TR1
    I like the look and feel of the TR1
    Is this gun too old in design and function?
    I have shot trap twice and am breaking 20-22 clays
    Should I just stay with my current gun?
    Thank you in advance for your input.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Why do you need a new gun? Put a set of longer barrels on the SP II if you feel you must and get an adj comb installed. You're good to go.
    Mike Battista

3. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

Thank you for the input. I agree with the concept of getting used to one reciever and stock and it could be used for singles and doubles. Like any after market item, would the cost of longer barrels approach the cost of an entire gun?

Mike

4. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

Point taken...singles do it for me at the time but I may migrate to doubles.

5. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

getcha a browning XT combo or just double they both work great or a beretta 682 combo or double. I shoot and xt not a combo and am around the 97-98 , 21yd., and 91-92 in dubs with it. I have been shooting for 3 years. My buddy has a 682 top single combo and is around the same. It's all about if you really need it or just want it.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike gave excellent advice. But, if you really want a single barrel as opposed to needing a single barrel, a good BT 99 is hard to beat for the money. If you mention at your club that you are thinking about a BT 99, several will most likely appear. You would have the opportunity to shoot the gun several times before deciding.

Pat Ireland

7. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I shoot a BT, can't go wrong! I just about always shoot the kid on my team with a Silver Seitz. You can buy a better gun, but you can't hit any more targets!
    -Trappy

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

Trappy, don't shoot the kid with the Silver Seitz, he didn't mean it!

9. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

It's more money, but if you were getting serious about trapshooting, why not get something really similar to your SP II? Joel Etchen has a 687 SP combo out that comes as either a topsingle or unsingle combo. Then you would be set for everything. You can find one as just an O/U, also, which would be cheaper, I'm not sure if it was just a run from Etchen's or if Beretta makes them for everyone. Something to check into, though.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try try try before you buy! joel etchens web site is worth the look no matter what you decide. Lots of great looking guns, also has some clearance sales going on. With out actually shooting it, buying it new off the shelf. I would lean for the Cynergy trap combo and have a adjustable butt and comb indtalled. If and when I ever decide to replace my XT I would really consider joel etchens. I would make a trip out to his place in PA. I must say one of the better web sites out there. joel has many many makes and models to boot

11. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

Thank you for all the input...good perspective and great site. I appreciate the help. I will continue to shoot my SPII and ponder my next move. Shoot well gentlemen.
    Mike

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Awe it's alright! He's a tough kid and we just tell him to rub some dirt on it and quit whining!
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

joel etchen guns silver seitz

joel etchen silver seitz
tr1 trap gun