1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on buying a dog training collar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I have an awesome black lab who loves to hunt pheasants; the problem is when he gets too excited he doesn't respond to my voice commands. Last year he took off with another hunter and hunted for him until I was able to get him back under my control. (I think the other hunter should have held him for me but that’s another story).

Does anyone have experience with the dog training collars or even a collar they may be willing to sell? I hate to use a collar but I would hate to lose him more.

Thanks for your help.

2. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Check your PM's

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a new one still in the package.
    Don

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Tritronics, nothing less.

5. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

If you are bird hunter like I am and not a professional dog trainer don't get sucked in by all the various bells and whistles. You want one that you can use with winter hunting gloves on. You need one that you can adjust quickly and easily...ie you only have to read the instructions once in your life. You need one that gives you a choice of a warning or a shock for your dog. You need a battery that will last a full days hunting in cold weather.

Sometimes I wonder if the engineers that come up with all the stuff have ever really hunted...and especially in less than ideal circumstances.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The ones that I own now are DT and Dogtra. In the early days of collars, tri tronics was the leader. But now there are several that will serve equally as well although not as pricy. My dogs aren't sissys and hunt in some harsh conditions and I have never encountred any problems with brands I mentioned.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you may need some corrective field work if your dog ran off and hunted with someone else and never came back prior to actual hunting scenarios.

7. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Pheasantmaster; no offence taken. I got Moses from a lab rescues; he's the first birddog that I've had. He watched other dogs hunt the fist day, the second time out he was hunting like he had been doing it his whole life. He gets so excited that he cries when I pull his hunting collar out; won’t even look at his food, he wants to go hunting. I can’t tell you how much pleasure I get from watching him hunt. It was truly a wonderful thing to see the hunting thing click in his head. So yes, I need training also, but together we will make it work.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

+1 for Dogtra. -1 for DT. I had a DT and it worked intermittenly and I had a dog stolen due to this fact. Tri-tronics aren't bad, just more money for the same thing.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can get a good idea what is available and the price ranges in the Cabela's catalogue. Get a unit that has at least 1/2 mile range and has a tone feature.

Don't feel as if you will be abusing your dog with the collar because it can be just the opposite. You will find that by not having to use a loud voice, both you and the dog will be more at ease. When the shock correction is required, the dog won't associate that pain with you but rather with what ever they were doing wrong. Always use the tone before the shock and that way the you will quickly be able to make the corrections with only the tone. Most collar packages come with an instructional video or literature that has training proceedures, spend the time to educate yourself in this area.

As another poster indicated there is a problem with the dog wanting to go with other hunters. Being that this dog was a rescue dog, there is probably a trust issue that you will need to overcome. Yelling at your dog and beating it won't help you there but the electronic collar will.

Good luck and happy hunting.

10. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

wolfram, we usually hunt with a group of guys, I think my dog just though this guy was in our group…..or maybe that’s what I want to believe.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tri tronics and Dogtra

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Go to Lion Country Supply's web site at LCSupply.com. or call for a free catalog ph. # is 800-662-5202 They have everything, great service and prices. You only need the basic system (one dog) and they have an excellent trainer/beeper/locator for only $149.00. Check it out.

I've had most of the collars and I really like the Sportdog SD-1850 Upland hunter the best(two dog). I also have had two Dogtra 2500 T&B's but have had repeated problems with the toggle switch (changes one dog to another). If they get the toggle switch problem resolved it would be as good as the Sportdog. I also currently have a Tri-Tronics G3 for three dogs, and it is OK, but have trouble hearing the beeper when dog is on point, louder setting is way to loud.

Looking at the Garmin Astro now. I have five bird dogs and hunt with two or three when I hunt wild quail which is usually about three days a week, here in Arizona. I won't be hunting that much this season as I have just had both of my knees operated on. Try the Lion Country Supply dog trainer, you can't go wrong with it.

Tom Strunk

13. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

mrrem3200

I have 2 sets of the Dogtra 202 gold NCP collars which I use on my brittanies. I use the page feature to call them instead of voice or whistle. They work great and are reasonably priced. For what it is worth, Dan Bonillas bought a set to use with his setters.

Vince McNamara

14. SI

SI TS Member

I use the tri tronics G2. I have tried the others and find that this is the most reliable one. I don't like some of the others as their level of intesity seems to vary. You are not being inhumane with your dog by using these, you are saving it, what if a car came by while the dog was persuing a bird!

I would advocate that the dog be collar conditioned by a professional however, just my two cents worth. Good Luck.
    Dan

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, get one with the "vibration" mode. You can give your dog a vibration warning before an electronic correction. My dogs know it's a warning, thus seldom are shocked. Great tool.

16. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I have a yellow lab, and have had a Tritronics g3 for 6 or 8 months. He is a year old now, and almost all I ever use is the buzz feature. This makes a sound he can hear, and he responds immediatly.

The Tritronics are made in the USA, and I believe are the best you can get.

Mine has always functioned perfectly, and the batteries last a very long time between charges.

Jim

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I use Dogtra digital and can't find one thing wrong with it. Battery charge lasts for weeks, completely waterproof, adequate power for the toughest dogs, easy to use.

jim brown

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If you don't mind a used one, check out www.gundogsunlimited.com. Agree with the 1/2 mile, but if you ever hunt in timber or might get a pointing breed, spend the extra $50 for the 1 mile.

You can also get some refurbished ones that guys have upgraded. Remember the transmitter IS NOT waterproof. :) Best place for refurb is www.collarclinic.com. BOL, Jim

19. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

You load up the guns, get the 2 super snoopers in the truck and head to the field. Go to put the collars on and they dont work. And like gmag says above, my 2 springer dingers figure out real fast that the collars are dead = possible ruined hunt. That why I use TriTronics, since I laid out the bucks and bought a 2 dog system no more problems.

20. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I want to thank everyone for all your great infromation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.