1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on a worn gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter870, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

In anticipation of dove season, I pulled out one of my favorites, a Beretta BL4 I picked up in the 80s and went over it. I noticed that the release lever has finally passed the 6 o'clock point and is edging towards 6:15. The barrels still feel tight when closed, and everything else seems ok. It shoots well.

I'm not particularly mechanically oriented. What needs fixed here? Has Old Bessie finally gotten to the stage where it makes more sense to go new gun shopping (I often considered but have never visited Mr. Etchen), or is this something fairly simple and affordable?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

send it to Beretta in Maryland it needs a new locking bolt and definetly new springs, if you keep shooting it the way it is you will damage the hinge pins, and then you are talking about big bucks. I had two done last year, one cost 109 the other had a broken cocking rod so it cast more 225 when I got them back they were like new.

3. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Thanks!

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Remove the forend, do you have excessive play in the lockup with the forend off? If you do, get it serviced..if it's still tight, enjoy it for another season or two..but the repairs won't get any cheaper down the road.

Big Jack

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

hunter870:

I had the same thing done to my beretta 680 combo gun I took it to Beretta at the grand and they said it could run from 150.00 and up to over 400.00 because I had 3 barrels to be fitted but I didn't want to have the other 2 barrels drilled out to match the wore barrel so i went went the tig welding of the holes on the wore out barrel and it would match my other 2 barrels better.

Anyway I had phillips Gunsmithing do it at the grand and I have had him do s set of release triggers for the gun also and I am pleased with his work.

I know a couple of others that does good work like mentioned above but I was well satisified with Phillip maybe call him and se if your gun can be done the same way im sure it will be a lot cheaper tahn the factory.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foghorn220

6. hunter870

hunter870 Member

thanks folks...I may have a couple more seasons, but I'm thinking I'm going to need the work done eventually....gonna keep the gun in my arsenal for sentimental reasons if nothing else.
    As Jack pointed out, it's not going to get any cheaper, so I'll be sending it off to Cole in the next week or so.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you love the gun and its in your budget, rebuild it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.