1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a youth 20 ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

A boy will be 12 in Sept. Looking for a you 20 ga. if anyone has one to part with. It would certainly bring a smile to the little man. Thanks Jim

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have new Beretta 391 youth guns here. 20 ga., 24" barrels, choke tubes, case, Beretta warranty.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There's a nice Rem 1100 LT-20 Magnum in the for sale section. Add a 2-3/4" barrel and you'll have the softest shooting shotgun for factory shells. It will cycle the cheap 2.5 dram 7/8 oz promo loads. The combination of the heavier magnum action sleeve and a 2-3/4" barrel makes it very soft shooting. And the magnum barrel is perfect for taking it hunting. I know because my son started with this exact setup. When he outgrew the shortened stock, I wanted to hand the gun down to his sister. But he liked it so much he put an adult stock on it and still uses it. Had to get her another gun. Click link.

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

I would recommend a pump if you can find one. I bought my grandson a nice little 20 gauge Winchester 1200 youth model and it has worked out nicely. The pump is a little safer I think and easier to use than the semi-auto. The big factor for me though was that I can load VERY light 3/4oz loads for him and not have to worry about them working the action on an auto. I didn't consider an o/u because of the price...I got the Winchester for $200.

Here is one for sale now:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1954875/missoula-montana-shotguns-for-sale--winchester-1200-20-gauge--youth

5. Brian in Oregon

How is a pump safer than a semi-auto if you are only loading one shell at a time for trap? The problem is recoil with factory loads. If he doesn't reload, then the kid will likely complain about the recoil in a light pump. Seen that all too many times on the trap field. Light 20ga kicks the snot out of the kid and they quickly lose interest.

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

Just relating my experience with one child Brian. We started with a borrowed 20ga 1100 Youth model. As a slightly built 10 year old, he had a problem pulling the bolt back. He didn't appear comfortable or safe trying to eject an unfired shell by himself. Recoil was a problem even with the 1100, so I reloaded a light 3/4oz load which was comfortable for him to shoot and broke targets with authority. Unfortunately, the light loads would not eject. The pump solved all the problems and recoil doesn't seem to be a factor.

BTW, light-recoiling 20ga 3/4oz factory loads are available...but you already knew that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1836961884/fiocchi-exacta-low-recoil-target-ammunition-20-gauge-2-3-4-3-4-oz-7-1-2-shot

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Best economy will come from buying a regular size 20, then put on a youth stock.

Change the stock when the kid grows, and the youth stock will be an easy sell.

We did that, and I would do it again.

Youth guns have shorter barrels and the market is limited.

we used an 1100 with a 26 inch pipe.

HM

8. Brian in Oregon

Time and again I saw kids rubbing their shoulders at the trap range with their brand new 870, 500 and, Lord help us, NEF 20ga guns. I would loan them my son's 1100 LT-20 or my 1187 20ga and it was like night and day. That was the gun they wanted.

If you can handload powder puff loads for a kid, great, get a pump or break action and don't look back.

If you have to buy factory ammo, consider a gas operated semi-auto 20ga.

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

Remington 1100 28 gauge with a youth stock available from Remington. Put a soft recoil pad on it if there's not one already.

Dan

10. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I have a 870 20ga with both a 20" barrel fixed mod and a 26 " barrel with choke tubes I bought for my son who is now 24. It also has black sinthetic stock and forend it will shoot 2/34 and 3".

Dave

11. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Depending on what he is going to shoot.
    I bought a youth 870 express for my son a few years ago. I also bought another stock to cut down. If he is going to deer hunt with slugs, you need to buy the combo set with the deer barrel. I was going to buy the extra barrel and found out they wanted almost as much as another shotgun. I ended up buying another single shot rifled 20 gauge for deer. I liked it so much, I bought another 20 guage for myself.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I help at youth shoots at my club, and don't feel comfortable sharing my reloads with strangers, so we use 1100/11-87 youth guns and factory ammo. When I am going one-to-one with someone that I feel comfortable sharing my reloads, I can use my Mossberg 500 SuperBantam pump gun with 20 gauge 3/4 oz 1100 fps shells, that don't need to cycle anything and are softer shooting than factory 28 gauge shells. It also has a shorter LOP (12") than you can get with an 1100. Mark

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with Brian in Oregon

If you do not have the correct shell in a youth 20ga it will kick harder than a 12ga. That to me is the most common mistake is getting a light gun and get some hot dove or pheasant loads to shoot because they are ready avaiable. If you do not reload there are 12ga loads that are very soft shooting off the shelf. You might have to order them in to get exactly what you need.

I started my daughter at the age of 13 with a 12ga with a semi auto on trap with one shell at a time... had to eject spent shell by hand. Long story short with in 6 months she was shooting an over under 1150 fps 1oz loads i could buy off the shelf. Besides her birth and watching her come into this world, watching her shoot and bust clay target was and is the most fun days of my life.

Hope its the same for you.

Wesley

14. Slewcity

Slewcity Member

don't buy till you shoot and check out the youth winchester super x3 20 ga.
    will cycle light loads
    low recoil and light

weight for a youth is very important
    bought one for my 12 year daughter, skinny and tall
    not much strength in her upper twigs

loves the gun

15. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

$250 at walmart for a 24" vent rib mossberg pump (500 Bantam) with 3 screw in choke sizes included. This is their youth size pump gun. Comes with a coupon to get the full size stock an forearm for 1/2 price from mossberg as the kid gets older an bigger. Coupon says on it---good forever.

I got the little woman one an she loves it..... :eek:)

Ron

Search tags for this page

soft shooting youth 20 ga