1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a target......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

When you mount your gun and call for a target, where do you look....under or over your barrel? Thanks, Biff

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wouldn't it be hard to see under your barrel?

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Barrelbulge not if you are using 2 eyes. If you mount your gun above the roof and look under the barrel with both eyes open you should have an unobstructed view of the entire roof. Try it remember both eyes open.

Bob Lawless

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Under the barrel as tought by LEO, Harlen however, teaches over the rib.

5. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Biff,Buy Frank Littles Tape [16 yrd]or book,he explains it pretty good.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Leo suggested to mount the gun, align on your selected hold point and then just prior to calling pull, look into the center of the house right where the target emerges from the roof line.

It took just a little getting used to, but it substantially slowed the game down.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Under, just as JB says Leo suggests.....Bob Dodd

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are several different ways to look for the target, but all of the successful methods involve seeing the target leave the house with your head remaining on the stock. The first shot on doubles may be an exception to this.

Pat Ireland

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

I used to look under the barrel when I held a high gun. But I have lowered my hold point and now soft focus out in front of the trap. I see the targets flight path much quicker and my barrel never blocks the target.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a set of colored photos taken by one of our own here (one of the better shooters in the country), that shows flight paths, barrel hold areas, and eye focus areaa. Five photos for all 5 posts.

These are well done and suitable for framing on your gun club wall for shooters to understand exactly what you are asking for. (Never end a sentence with a preposition, huh?).

These are in color. They are in a PowerPoint format, but you sould easily be able to print them on your printer.

Whiz White

11. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Whiz, I'm interested in a set to post at our club.

Thanks,
    i_shoot

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you want a set, email me and I will reply with them.

Whiz

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's not really under as much as through. With both eyes open the gun becomes transparent as you focus upon a distant object. The further away you focus the more transparent the gun becomes but as Harlan suggests your focus is above the rib line but you will still see through the gun if you are using your eyes properly.

Joe

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- You are absolutely correct. Frank Little talked to me a lot about seeing through the site. It is difficult to describe this with words. It involves concentrating on one clearly focused part of our vision filed but also being aware of other areas that are out of focus.

Pat Ireland

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to think ofit as xray vision. It appears as though you can see right through the gun. It takes a little time to perfect, but it is worth the effort. HMB

16. biff

biff Active Member

Otnot, that is exactly what I'm doing now. I hold low, right on the top of the trap house and have been using the bill of my cap to block some of the upper vision, it slows me down so I don't jump on the targets.....seems to work better on handicap than it does for singles, not sure why. I know the singles have alot more angle to them when you are close! Biff

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

depends on where your barrel's pointed I suppose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.