1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a specific screw size??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I'm not familiar with the thread pitches used in shotguns but I know they're oddball sizes for some reason. Anyway, one of the ejectors on my XT Trap failed last year. The little stud in the side of it that causes it to move with the slider came out. On inspection I discovered that the hole it was in is threaded. Apparently, the stud was actually the end of a shear bolt that was screwed into the hole and sheared itself off at the right length when it got tight. If I can locate a gun screw with at least 1/8-inch of unthreaded shoulder I could modify it into a replacement pin and keep the ejector as a spare. At the cost (time/money) to have another ejector machined its work the effort.

Anybody know what size/pitch a screw to fit that hole would be? My best guess is that's it's a #6 screw or thereabouts.

Mike

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

mac,

i don't have the foggiest as to the size, but is there any way to do a search on the net and come up with a schematic or assembly drawing with a parts list? then maybe you can buy one from brownells?

brett d.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Usually the tip off that this screw/stud is backing out is, your loaded shell begins to fall under the extractor. That's when, if you're lucky, you catch it before it completely falls out. It is staked in from the back, but even that isn't a complete cureall. You need to check it occasionally. I'd order a new one from Browning or maybe a call to Art's would get you goin'.

When you mash on the URL have your sound turned down a little. ;-)

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think it's metric but don't know for sure. I doubt if B. C. Miroku would use anything else. If you find the right one it's a simple matter to grind down the head of a regular one.

I had it happen, my smith had it fixed in ten minutes.

HM

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could find a parts list for the gun and order the screw. Shipping might be more than the cost of the screw and it could take a few weeks to get one. You could take the gun into a store like Home Depot and try to find the screw but taking guns into stores can cause concern. The quickest, and possibly the cheapest, is to visit a gunsmith. They should keep a large selection of small screws.

Pat Ireland

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

In no specific order...

Thanks Rebel, I check Brownells...

The screw cannot be checked for tightness; there's no slot of any sort...

When Johnny Allem replaced the injector, HE indicated that the screw was not listed as a separate part...and the ejectors come rough and must be machined to fit each barrel individually.

I know it's not SAE and I doubt it's a common metric; I tried my entire range of threaded bore gauges and none of them fit...but I'll check a hardware store...

Thanks for the input...I've got some direction now.

Mike

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Check Midwest Gun works,www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi Jeff

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Rebel...

I checked the Brownell's site and did locate an "ejector retaining screw" on the blow-up of Citori parts. It's in the right place. I ordered 3. Now if it's the right item, I will keep 2 and take one up to Johnny Allem, wave it in his face and ask him where he gets off charging me $60 to screw me over for a new extractor and lying about the availability of the individual part when he could have charged me just $5 for the screw!

Thanks,

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.