1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a screw!

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by JPSemper, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

0   0   0

Actually I'm looking for a couple of screws. I bought a Citori Plus over the holidays with an adjustable comb. The gun is great but set up for a right handed shooter. You guessed it, I'm left handed. When I removed the comb, I found the screws that hold the comb posts were stripped and I had a heck of a time loosening them. Now I can't tighten them because where you insert the allen wrench is stripped out and I can't get enough leverage to tighten them up.

Any suggestions on where to get screws?

Thanks in advance.
    John Semprini

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Any hardware store. Take them with you and they can help you match up diameter and pitch. A couple should run you less than a buck. They are probably 8-32.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0   0   0

ACE hardware has both blued and stainless.

The cost is so low that,if you're unsure whether you're looking at the right ones, you can buy the ones that look almost like it too and still have spent less than 3 bucks. Good luck.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

0   0   0

Make sure you get the right sized screw, some gun maufacturers use some rare sizes and threads

5. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I laughed at the title..but I won't touch it.

Rick in MT

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I've been waiting for some comments on the title. lol

I'm sure someone in the know a little better than me can also tell you that if they are SAE there in no problem but it they are Metric there is a difference in the thread pitch depending on if its European (DIN) or Japanese (JIC).

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

0   0   0

What about Wittsworth or what ever they used in England, they were 1 thread per inch off SAE

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Get hold of a thread gage, and determine what the thread may be. If it's specialized, go to Brownell's, or the factory. If unavailable, go the the Bunny Ranch. About 75 miles from Las Vegas. They carry all models and designs.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

I would contact Dennis Devault and see if he can help you out. He gets domestic mfg allen and socket head screws, which are much better quality than the imports for the most part. I am sure they cost a lot more, but in a high end gun, what is 2 bucks more for screws?

10. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

0   0   0

ACE hardware..

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

catpower........Is line #5 what you are referring to in 'some helpful notes about threads'? Something new to me, I guess your never to old to learn. lol

Bill

12. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

0   0   0

Fastenal. Went there to buy what I thought was a rare screw size; they had it in 6 different variations.

13. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

0   0   0

Thanks to all that have responded.

I'll start with Ace and go on from there I guess. Yes, I will bring one of the screws with me. Great advice.

Thank you all again and good shooting to all!

John Semprini

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

0   0   0

A trick for getting a screw with a stripped Allen head out..........use a Torx bit that is little larger than the stripped hex and tap it in, It will usually hold long enough to break the screw loose.

Ken Rucker

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ken, another trick is to put some valve grinding paste in the hole and try the allen head again. If that doesn't work then use the torx but with the paste still in the head. Jackie B.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I was just wondering if the OP has gotten lucky? LOL

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

Ruck,

I stumbled across that exact thing a few years ago. I now keep a good supply of sacraficial Torx bits aound just for that very reason.

ss

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

0   0   0

Try that little 'ol hardware store just outside La Grange, Texas, for an assortment of screws. They may just mail order for the right price.

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Another trick for stripped allen head screws is to grind off a small amount of the allen wrench, leave the ground end rough, and try this to remove screw.

You may have to tap it in, but this sometimes works.

Also, I have taken a small flat punch, and gently use it, and a small ball peen hammer, to flatten the metal around the stripped area. This can re-shape it enough that it may come loose, and sometimes the light tapping helps in loosenng.

Your threads may be loctited, too.

20. shadow

shadow Active Member

0   0   0

I was going to recomend Printers Alley in Nashville, but you guys are talking about a different kind of screw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.