1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Reloader & have a question - PW 800B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Concrete200, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

I am looking for a reloader and have a question about a PW 800B. I have read a lot of good things aboiut these loaders and the price is decent and it is local so I don't have to pay for shipping. But, I noticed on the PW webpage that they are not making any more parts for the 800B and when their current inventory runs out that is it. The one I am looking at is around serial # 19200 +/-. Is this something I should be concerned about or are the major parts interchangeable or can a conversion kit be used from the 800+?

Also,does anyone know approx what the year of manufacture is on this unit?

Thanks for you help...Dennis

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Mine is 179XX which I think is around the early 80s. It was fairly new then.

I converted mine to 800C which gives the crimp a more rounded appearance.

I have one gripe, which is the primer feed system, otherwise a great machine over the years.

However, condition is critical so the better it looks the better it probably is.

Regards....Gerald

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

If you go to Jim "whiz" Whites website (www.swsupply.com) there is a document there that describes the differences in the 800 models.

If the machine is in good repair - it will load as good a shell now as it ever has. But, you can get caried away on it trying to upgrade it to something like an 800+ and probably spend more on upgrades than a new machine.

The 800B does not do taper crimping - if you are loading for an o/u thats no big deal. If you are loading for an autoloader - it might be. You can upgrade to a taper crimp set (look at PW website www.reloaders.com for current prices).

If the machine has not been converted to a taper crimp - then the dies are about 1/4" taller than 800+ dies. The taper crimp set includes new dies. The only time the longer dies are a problem is if you need to load AAHS hulls - they are a touch shorter and may not crimp well.

The wad seating station has been redesigned. If you manage to break it, then you will have to upgrade to the new style- which will require some machining on the tool head - but it can be done.

The primer feed system is redesigned - but once you get the 800B adjusted properly, it's fine.

The die holder on the 800B does not allow you to remove a die/shell at each station - the 800+ does. You can upgrade it - but its pricey.

There are several other minor differences - most can be accomodated with 800+ tooling if need be.

Also, if the 800B started out life as a 12 gauge machine - converting it to load subgauges is difficult because of the way the lower crosshead is machined.

John

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

Buy a used 900 or 800+ on Trapshooters for about $500-550 and save yourself a lot of hassels. No need to upgrade any of the old stuff especially the lack of removavle dies which is a major pain in the butt. I bought one recently for $450 so they are an excellent price if you look around a bit and you can start loading perfect shells immediately and not spend your time and money updating a 30 yuear old machine.

Doug

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

John, above, is correct in what he stated, as is Citadel.

Thanks, fellas.

Whiz

6. kd185

kd185 Member

i think they stopped making the 800B's around 1979
    theres are a few guys here that will know better than me

7. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

OK...I read the article on the above listed website (swsupply.com) and I have been talked out of a 800B...thanks to all for saving me some headaches...Now leaning toward a 800+...I will search the For Sale adds and see if I can pick up a used one...If any of you guys know someone that has one for sale send them my way...Once again thanks for the help, Dennis

8. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Dennis I have a 800+ with hull feeder that Whiz sold me. I'm getting out. I've gotten to where I reload very little. It will probably take several years just to shoot what I loaded already. You can PM me or email me.
    Sonny Daniels

9. AEP

AEP Member

Buy a new or used 800+. I had an 800C and there is no comparison. The 800+ is a better machine.

If you are going to reload a lot it worth the xtra money not to have the hassles with the 800C.

My 800C was always giving me problems. Not big problems just little ones. When the machine was all tuned up it did work great, but after 1,000 reloads something would either come loose or out of adjustment. I sent the machine back to the factory and they readjusted it. When I got it back it worked great for about 1,000 rounds and something would go out of adjustment.

I will say this. All of my problems happened while there were 2 of us reloading. My wife would place the empties in station 1. All I had to do was pull the handle and insert the wad. When I reloaded by myself it was slower and had fewer problems.

I finally got tired of adjusting all the time and last year I bought a 800+. What a difference. The wife and I can load 200 rounds in about 15-18 minutes, and no problems.

There has been posts about a new machine coming out. If you can afford $1,500+ it might be worth the wait.

Good luck,

Andy P

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I have an 800B that I bought used in 1975. I load 25k per year and the only thing I've replaced on it is wad guides. IMHO the 800B is superior in ease of operation and durability to all later model PW's. A couple of years ago I bought a 800+. Compared to the 800B, it's a piece of junk although I do like the wider primer tray and being able to change bushings without draining shot and powder. I finally got the plus to quit breaking parts and it operates ok, now, but the lever throw is longer and is more tiring to operate than the 800B.

Buz

11. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

Kolar Dan...sent you a PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.